Chapter 3:

Chapter 3

It would've made more sense if it was the same guy with the eyes but it wasn't. Was it possible to find someone with the exact same eye color? Maybe if I did some research... But no. It wasn't my business. It could've easily been my imagination. I did have a history of exaggerating things. I groaned. Why was I stressing over a guy with "glowing" eyes that I only saw once. Get it together Ry! I slowly got up and walked Into the kitchen to find Roland sitting on the barstool eating a burger. "We'll someone finally woke up" he said laughing. I stuck my tongue out at him and searched through the fridge. I decided I was in the mood for an omelet, so I got out spinach eggs cheese and bacon. Yea I can cook, but I only did when I felt like it.

I was sitting at the table eating when Roland called my name from the living room. "What!!" I screamed back at him. "Come here I think you might wanna see this". I mumbled a complaint but slowly got up and walked to the couch. I sat down with a thud, irritated that my breakfast had been interrupted. "Look" he said gesturing to the tv. He was watching the news. It said 'HEADLINES: MASSIVE ANIMAL ATTACKS NEAR A LOCAL COLLEGE. POLICE SAY IT WAS RABID DOGS RUNNING WILD' I felt a shiver run down my spine. I had always been a little scared of forests. When I was little my cousin Trey went in there and came out mauled. All he has left now was a scar that ran from his neck down to his arm and collar bone. But it was still scary. Ever since that day I have never (and don't plan to) go in the woods alone.

Roland was calling my name when I came back to my senses. "Yea?" I said still a little distracted. "You ok?" I nodded. It wasn't like I was going into a forest anytime soon so it wasn't a problem.

Thinking about my cousins I noticed I haven't seen them in a while. So after I got dressed I would call them over a walk. They only lived about an hour from here (but with the way those two drive they'll be here in 30) maybe they could come visit.

Trey was my age, only older than me by four months. We always hung out together through about 10th grade. We had the same friends, most of the time, so we were always together. 11th grade he moved so he transferred schools, but he would drive over to my house at least twice a week.

Jess on the other hand was about 8 years older than me. He was like another brother to me. Not that Roland wasn't a good brother, but he was like the older brother I never had. Treys parents had died so he moved in with Jess's family. Though it had affected all of us. Me and trey were too young to remember but their names Meg and Jeffrey. They had been wonderful people according to Ro and Jess. They always took them on trips, teaching them about nature and the woods and survival skills. Those two had taught me and trey these skills as best as they could, though they said never as well as Meg and Jeffrey. They said that the secret is to act as if your a wolf; quiet, quick, smart, careful, strong and alert. I would always ask 'why a wolf?' But the answer was always 'why not'. It always bothered me that neither one of them was giving me an answer but I eventually let it go.

Anyways I told Roland goodbye and that I'd be back. I didn't tell him about about Trey and Jess because I wanted to surprise him, but didn't want to disappoint him if they didn't come. I called Jess as soon as I got out of sight of the apartment. "Hello?" He answered. "Hey Jess". It's coming... I know it's coming. "Awww well isn't it the baby?" And there it is. "Don't call me that!!" "Why not?" He said trying to hide a chuckle to my reaction. "Because I'm not a baby. I'm not young at all actually."

"You're only 18, Ry"

"You're 26!! That's old!!"

"Whatever"

Ugh. I wasn't going to stand here and argue with Jess about my age.

"So what's up. I know you didn't call me just to argue." I could practically hear the smirk in his voice and it made me laugh. "Something funny?" Ok I'm getting to the point now. "Nope. I just wanted to see if you and Trey can come visit us today."

"I don't know. The last time was a mess."

I laughed remembering that weekend. We had a 'party' with just the four of us, and we all ended up drunk and doing things I couldn't remember to this day.

"We won't drink... A lot" I say only half joking. I didn't usually get drunk, but I had no problem drinking alcohol. And so what I started drinking before I was 21. It's not like I'm irresponsible.

"Yea we can come. Just let us finish a fee things first"

"Ugh fine. How long till you show up?" I heard him and Trey talking in the background and started tapping my foot impatiently. I hated to be kept waiting. What seemed like 5 minutes but was probably only a few seconds later he said "well be there at around 4." I looked at my watch. 2:30pm. Well... I guess I could wait that long. I would probably still be out walking anyway. "Ok" I say "and tell Trey to meet me at that park down the street from our apartment?" "Sure thing. See ya then Youngblood." I let out a groan of complaint and hung up abruptly when I heard him laughing.