Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

Tragic Pasts

I didn’t know whether to be mad or hurt that after all the time we had spent together Jeremy hadn’t thought of telling me that he had a kid. I wondered why he wouldn’t talk about his past or what he did other than being a cop in Philadelphia, but wouldn’t of never guest this was why. I tried to fight the grin spreading on my face as I got ready for the day. The man who stepped into my life for work purposes only was making me fall for him, and now to find out he had a son. I was in big trouble.

            I walked through the house silently, trying not to wake them up. I was having a hard time sleeping seeing as they both snored exactly the same and at the same octave.

            Sitting down with my coffee and the newspaper, the headlines caught my eye. “Man Accused of Breaking and Entering Confesses Gang Affiliation,” Read the top of the front page. My eyes widened. It was our case. The whole reason the two of us were sent here were so we could take down this group of people doing these horrible things to the people around us.

            I didn’t get a chance to tell Jeremy about my suspicions seeing as though he brought his own problems home with him last night. I wanted to show him my notes about our neighbors and see what he thought. I turned on the television and flipped to the local news. On the bottom of the screen read the same headline as the paper? My heart sunk. If the men involved with the breaking and entering confessed, we would no longer be needed to investigate. That would mean I would go back to my apartment and probably never see Jeremy or his son, Colton, again. Panic surged through me. I was just starting to feel something, I picked up my cell phone and just as I was about to call Brez, his number popped up on my screen.

            “Hello, this is Hope,” I answered furrowing my brows at the almost perfect timing.

            “Hey hope, I would assume you are watching the news now?” asked Brez, knowing me oh so well.

            I nodded my head before realizing that he couldn’t actually see me. “Uh, yes sir,” I quickly answered not wanting to keep him waiting.

            “Well, this means that there is gang affiliation happening and we need you two to keep scoping out. There was a hit last night a couple blocks from where you live and it was bad. They murdered three people, a young family, out of cold blood. They took every pill in the house and we are sure they will be cooking up some good stuff today or tomorrow. One of the men was caught and he is the one who confessed. Without he has agreed to testify, but without unreasonable doubt about who is involved, we cannot pursue the case any farther. The man is in interrogation right now and we will keep you posted on what he has to say,” Brez finished and there was a moment of silence on the other line. I let out a breath and replied.

            “Thank you sir. I was afraid the mission would be over. I quite like it here,” I said trying not sound too girly.

            “Glad someone can reel you in hope,” Brez chuckled on the other line.

            “Yea, well I have a question,” I said furrowing my brows.

            “Go ahead Hope,” Brez waited for me to start.

            “Did you know that agent Wilson had a son?” I asked hearing Brez let out a deep breath on the other line.

            “Hope you need to know that all personal business was set aside for this mission. Jeremy thought it would be too dangerous to involve his son in all of this. Why are you asking?” Brez replied.