Seven

Seven

I wasn't the kind of person who typically eavesdropped, but my fears led me to such curt measures, spying into the chamber from behind a column like a masked assailant. It was dark, the most dangerous hour of the day, after twilight had long fallen and the corridors were shadowy passages lighted by flickering lanterns.

Within the chamber, Ahmose brooded behind a wooden desk gilded in gold and ivory, his eyes as dark and sullen as the evening itself. He leaned over a pile scrolls, dark brows creased in frustration, focusing so intensely on them, I worried he would set them aflame. Something was tearing him in half, like lampreys tugging at a carcass, and when Thutmosis loomed over his shoulder, I realized he was the culprit.

He lingered over Ahmose like some pestering disease, and three other men watched nearby, their anxious eyes foreboding the disaster that was to come. Each of their faces was stern and harsh, trying to mask the conflict that tormented them so obviously. They were Ahmose's generals, standing idly by as Pharaoh and Thutmosis bickered in Latin.

They wanted to hide something not only from the generals, but from anyone who could be listening close by. Something must have been terribly wrong. I tried to listen closer, but their voices were hushed and difficult to hear. Ahmose was in a terrible temperament now, and I wondered if he would be angry with me for ditching the guard he assigned me.

After dinner this evening, I noticed Ahmose wandering the halls, pacing like a caged panther. So I snuck away from the guard and followed him to this chamber.

Peeking around the column, I saw the generals remained nearby, waiting for some kind of response from Ahmose and Thutmosis, who were still talking in low voices. Ahmose scrutinized the scroll and Thutmosis, leaning over his shoulder, traced something on it with his finger.

My hand went to my satchel, and quietly, I recalled its contents in my head. I had packed lightly that morning I was supposed to go to Luxor with Clair. I only brought what I thought would be essential: one of Father's journals, a ball point pen, a bottle of water, a granola bar, a vial of anti-venom and a syringe, my cell phone, and a tube of pepper spray.

When Thutmosis wasn't arguing with Ahmose, he would disappear to the edge of the chamber so he could watch the corridor. I was afraid he would see me so I sauntered into the shadows and hid behind a column farther away. He went back to the table agitated, and spoke louder now.

"Your Majesty, something must be done to stop these rebels! Chaos is erupting all along the Fertile Crescent, and the chiefs of Canaan who were once our allies have now united against us. They attacked our grain ships in Giza, have stolen countless riches from Egyptian merchants, and have even taken hostages! They are a band of ruthless scoundrels! We should march to Megiddo and snuff them out before they grow strong enough to come here and take us by surprise!" Thutmosis was fuming.

"We wouldn't have this crisis if you and Mother had heeded my warning," Ahmose retorted. "We were at peace. It was senseless to initiate a futile war with the Syrians. Consequently, Egypt was given a cruel reputation by the Canaanites, who refuse to serve us, claiming the great Pharaoh of Egypt is a merciless tyrant." They were discussing a very dangerous topic. The generals were already on edge from their squabble, but with whom did their loyalties lie? Would they resent Ahmose for disapproving of their conquest, or Thutmosis for doubting Pharaoh?

"Futile?" Thutmosis snapped. "Canaan belonged to our ancestors, and the Canaanites took it from us! It was within our right to reclaim what was already ours!"

"Nevertheless, we should have waited for cause," Ahmose argued. "You may be a brilliant strategist, but you lack control with the people. We lost a lot of men during that battle because upon our victory, they plundered the dead and the remaining rebels took them by surprise. The army is worn! We won't survive another war in Canaan! We should let the prisoners go."