Chapter 17: Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow

Jane pressed her shoulder blades against the wall behind her and sucked in her stomach, flattening herself as much as possible, as she stood stock-still behind the open door. She held her breath as she heard Adam pass by the other side of the door, and she waited until all was silent again before daring to peek out from her hiding place.

She wasn’t exactly sure what instinct had led her to hide just now. She spent nearly every evening in his company. She shared his bed most nights. Surely, they’d established enough intimacy between them at this point that she could have simply walked into the room and asked him what he was doing. She’d been on the verge of doing just that when something had stopped her.

It was just that he’d wanted to be alone tonight, she told herself. He’d made it clear enough earlier. She’d been with him in the library after dinner, sipping her tea as he drank his wine, listening together to his collection of classic Motown. He’d been in a good mood. Relaxed and talkative. He’d had an idea earlier in the day for a sound that might be a good fit for her voice. “The old girl groups,” he’d told her enthusiastically. “There’s no one doing that stuff right now.” She’d listened to some songs by The Supremes and Gladys Knight, but nothing had really connected for her until he played a song by one of the lesser known acts – a group called The Shirelles.

Tonight your mine completely.

You give your love so sweetly.

Tonight the light of love is in your eyes.

But will you love me tomorrow?

She’d leaned forward and closed her eyes, feeling him watching her face as she listened to the lyrics. This was a song she understood all too well. These were words that she was essentially living right now – a song about the unbearable insecurity of realizing you were in love with someone and not knowing if he loved you in return.

I’d like to know if your love

Is love I can be sure of,

So tell me now and I won’t ask again,

Will you still love me tomorrow?

He’d been looking at her expectantly as the song came to an end. “Well?” he’d asked.

“Well?” she’d wanted to ask him right back. “Well, will you, Adam? Will you still love me tomorrow?” She was so confused by him. She had caught him watching her with Adele the other day and he’d smiled at her so sweetly when she’d looked up and met his eyes – was that what love looked like? Do you love me, Adam? That’s what she wanted desperately to ask him, but of course she hadn’t said that. She might be inexperienced with men, but she wasn’t an idiot.

No, what she’d been going back and forth about in her mind was whether to press him for more information about his life before she met him. About his late wife, in particular. He’d never spoken of her. The closest he had come was that night a few weeks ago when he’d had the bad dream and she had come to his bed to comfort him. “Was it about her?” she’d whispered to him as he’d clung to her with his face buried in her hair. He’d only nodded in reply.

It was a wall that he’d erected between them – an unspoken barrier that she hadn’t dared to cross. But she knew she could never hope to have any kind of meaningful relationship with him until he felt comfortable enough to open up about his past.

“Well? What did you think?” he’d prompted her again. He wanted to know her reaction to the music, of course. That’s what she should given him – that she liked it but the tempo should be slowed way down, and maybe change the melody a little at the bridge. But she hadn’t said any of that. Instead, she’d screwed up her courage and blurted out the question she’d been debating all day if she should ask him.