Chapter 12: I Can't Lie

Adam’s voice had sounded different today, Jane thought to herself, as she let her mind drift back over his visit. He’d sounded a little less depressed, and it made her happy to hear it. It was the nanny that seemed to have cheered him up. He’d talked about her almost the entire time he was here. He hadn’t said what she looked like. Which meant she was pretty, Jane knew. Pretty, and she could sing. To be fair, he’d had his share of female protégées during his days as a coach on The Voice, and he’d never gotten romantically involved with any of them. It wasn’t the singing that worried Jane about this nanny so much as the rest of the picture he had painted. Young, pretty, and good with children. And she made him laugh. And she made him less depressed.

He had left the iPod playing when he left, and a Maroon 5 song interrupted her thoughts. It was a song from the third album, I Can’t Lie:

I can't lie, you're on my mind,
Stuck inside my head.

Stuck inside my head – that’s what I am, Jane thought. Probably stuck here for the rest of my life. She wondered if that were true. Sometimes, lately, it seemed like she might be making a little progress. She could feel the pressure from Adam’s hand now when he touched her. That was new, wasn’t it? And yesterday, she could have sworn she’d felt the cool, flat surface of the sheet brushing against the fingertip she was struggling so hard to move. Had she actually moved it? Had she imagined it?

If only she could make her finger move while Adam was here, maybe he would see it. But it had been hopeless during his visit today. All she could do was lie there in silence and listen to him talk about the nanny.

Jane wondered if he would fall for her. It would be such a cliché: single dad falling for the nanny. And that’s what he was, after all – a single dad. She couldn’t be jealous. She mustn’t be jealous. It was what she’d told him she wanted, after all.  

Jane thought back to a conversation they’d had just before they were married. Like any good lawyer, she’d insisted on all the proper paperwork. Prenups, Wills, Powers of Attorney. . . .  He’d gone along with it, signing all the documents without comment, until they’d arrived at the Living Wills.

“What the fuck is this shit?” he’d demanded, his eyes going wide as he skimmed the unfamiliar legal verbiage.

She’d explained it to him in plain English. “It’s a document spelling out our wishes for medical treatment in the event either of us is unconscious and no longer able to give informed consent.”

He’d stared at it silently for a long time. “This is stupid,” he’d said at last.

“You can change it if you want. This is just standard language.”

He’d shoved the document away from himself with a shudder and shook his head at her. “I don’t want to think about this.”

“Adam, I know it seems morbid, but it’s important.”

She’d forced him to talk about it – what they would want in the event either of them were on life support. “If there’s no chance of recovery, pull the plug,” she’d told him bluntly.

“I don’t want to think about this,” he’d insisted again.

She’d ignored him and plowed on. “And then get on with your life and go fall in love with someone else.”

“ Jane—“

“I mean it.” She’d taken his hand and squeezed it, smiling at him coyly to lighten the mood. “You’re too good looking to spend the rest of your life alone. For the sake of all womankind—“