Chapter Twenty Eight

The Icy Beta: Chapter Twenty Eight

As Brayden was trying hard to stand up from the ground, the brown wolf beside him stood protectively in front of him. Brayden stood up and dropped back down to the ground numerous times. He was in a vulnerable position. I forced myself to keep my eyes opened and keep a tab on him. I aas afraid that he would get hurt in his human state. It must be due to 'the deathly', that he couldn't shift into his wolf. That stupid, silly boy!! Why did he want to take the risk of coming here? Deep down, I knew the answer. It was because of me. That was was why my heart was aching for him. He had been trying his best to get to me. He would take glances at me every now and then.

The pain that I had been experiencing was getting more and more painful as the time was passing. My body was getting ready to change into the beast once the clock stroke 12. It would be the start and the end of my birthday. Another wave of pain erupted in my body. As I tried to move my legs, I felt something different about it. I took a look at my legs and realized it had black fur on it. I screamed out when the leg bones cracked. My forehead was filled with sweat. My tears were mixing together with my sweat.

Suddenly, there were groups of werewolves speeding towards us. There were 4 to 5 wolves circulating around Brayden and the brown wolf. My breath hitched at my throat when I saw the wolves started attacking them. Brayden was lying on the ground. The brown wolf was standing over Brayden to protect him. They snapped their canines at each other. They threatened each other and waited for the right timing to strike.

Robert Miller ran back to me in his wolf form and stood in front the cage's gate. There were more wolves running towards us and the first thing they did was to attack the wolves that were circulating Brayden and the brown wolf. They roared at each other face. I could hear snapping sounds transmitting through the air. I was lying helplessly in the cage.

As the time past again, I heard the chimes ringing in my mind and the sound of the needles of the clock ticking. The sounds created around the surrounding were amplified. Every little detail can be heard. My vision started to sharpen. I could see small little insects crawling inside the cage or in the grasses far away. My nose was picking up different kind of scent but there was only one scent in particular that attracted me. It was a mixture of peppermint and lemon. However, the smell was weakening as the seconds goes by. I was trying to find the source of the smell but Robert Miller was blocking my view.

Suddenly, all the fighting sounds stopped. I shifted out a little and looking through a gap between Robert Miller and a wolf beside him. There was a huge black wolf standing face to face with Robert Miller. I recognised that wolf as Jayden. All the other wolves were either standing beside or behind the Jayden. As for Robert Miller and his other wolves, they were standing in a row, in front of my cage. They were staring at each other intensely and their positions were all in defensive mode.

The last transformation was going through my body as I felt my heartbeat increasing its pace. I could hear my ribcage cracking and changing. When I screamed out in pain, it sounded more like a wolf howling. For a split second, Robert Miller turned his wolf head to take a glimpse of me. I knew he was smiling when he saw me turning into a beast successfully. He was flashing his wolfy-teeth at me. When Robert Miller was being distracted by me, Jayden took this as an opportunity and lunged an attack.

Jayden speeded towards Robert Miller and pounced on him. He bit into his shoulder and dragged him away from the cage. His wolves were about to jump onto Jayden when Jayden's pack reacted by pinning them to the ground first. My eyes were searching for Brayden within the chaos. But I was getting distracted by the pain shooting through my stomach. One last snap of my bones and my days as a human had ended.

I growled as I stood up to balance on my 4 paws. I shook my furry body a little and stretched my legs to loosen my muscles. My eyes flickered around the area to see dead wolves lying on the ground and their blood polluting the grass. Blood... I licked my lips in excitement. I walked towards the gate and started scratching the lock. I growled angrily and decided to knock open the gate instead.