Chapter Twenty Five

The Icy Beta: Chapter Twenty Five

The next morning when I woke up, I hopped off the bed without giving Brayden a glance. I wasn't sure if I had woken him up. I marched to the bathroom and washed myself up. When I got out of the bathroom, Brayden was sitting on the bed. I walked straight to the wardrobe to pick up some fresh clothings. Even since I had been staying in Brayden’s room, he shifted some of my clothes into his wardrobe.

“Hailey…” Brayden took my hand from the back. I stopped whatever I was doing and waited for him to continue his sentence.

“Are you still angry?” He didn’t sound very good when he asked that question. I bit my lips as I hesitated whether to turn around and face him.

“I don’t like it when you are acting like this.” Brayden continued. I spun around to face him.

“Then promise me that you wouldn’t mark me or drink my blood. Don’t get yourself connected to me.” I said it with a straight face.

“I will not promise you that.” Brayden did not hesitate when he said that.

“Then there is nothing we can talk about.” I turned around and continued searching for fresh clothes.

“Hailey, you know I couldn’t just leave you like that. And I wouldn’t. I will definitely keep you safe and well protected. I will not let you die or get killed by anyone. We should at least try!! We are probably thinking too much. It might work without harming anyone!!” Brayden was half-yelling at me.

“It is a huge risk!!! Nobody knows what will happen after we exchanged blood!! Yes. I admit. After tasting your blood, I did feel different. It calmed me down and I was able to regain my senses. But we will never know what will happen to YOU after YOU take my blood. That Robert Miller… After the day he forcefully took my blood, there was this voice that kept intruding my mind. As the days are drawing nearer, I have been dreaming about him and the beast.” I said.

“You didn’t tell me that… Why didn’t you tell me?! That bastard!!!” Brayden clenched his fist tightly as if he was getting ready to kill someone. Brayden knew I had nightmares almost every night but I didn’t tell him what was in my dream.

“I will deal with him myself. If someone needs to be sacrifice, then..." I stared hard at Brayden. "I will be the one to sacrifice.”

“HOW ARE YOU GOING TO DEAL WITH HIM YOURSELF?! DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT I WILL LET YOU  FACE DANGER YOURSELF?!!” Brayden was yelling at me.

“IS ME THAT HE WANTS!! I WON’T LET ANYONE GET HURT BECAUSE OF ME. NOT YOU, NOT CHLOE, NOT ANYONE OF YOU!! HONESTLY SPEAKING, I’M THE DANGER!!” I was already breathing heavily with all that anger. “… Not that Robert Miller…”

The both of us stared at each other and none of us said anything. I didn't like to quarrel with him. It didn't feel good. He needed to understand what was he signing up for. Marking me and linking himself with me didn’t sound like a good idea to me. My thoughts were so messed up. We were in a fit of anger. Yelling at each other wasn't the solution. Both of us needed to calm down.

I could turn into a beast. That was the truth. As a beast, we found out that the human genes and the wolf genes were unable to get along. They were fighting for dominance. And beast genes would usually win and take over the human body and mind. I would turn into a beast with an animal body and mind. I would lose my human self.

Robert Miller, my father, wanted me. When I turned into a beast, he could use me to attack the packs so he could get their lands. To control the beast, we suspected that it was by exchanging blood. On my birthday, I would turn into a beast and I would be under Robert Miller’s control. I would attack anyone under his command.