Chapter 6 - Birthday!!

Over the next few weeks, Peter fit in quite nicely at the tower, and I got a glimpse of what it must be like to be a relatively normal teen. I mean things like sleeping in way later, not having to constantly practice at everything (Though I think that might be the spider thing. How would I know?), and not constantly on the lookout for a monster no one else could see. If that's normal for a teen hero with spider powers, I imagine that those with no powers whatsoever might have an even better life. At least they don't have to worry about being killed everyday. I suppose you could say that Peter was both familiar and foreign to me at the same time. I identified with him, but he was also a mystery to me. He and I became very close soon enough, much to my father's annoyance. I was starting to get more used to the fact that he cared about me, but it was still hard to believe sometimes.

Anyway, Peter and I became almost inseparable. I showed him the tower, how to work everything, how to sneak into unauthorized areas, even D.E.L.P.H.I., who took rather well to him, which was a surprise. Ever since I gave her a personality, she kinda hates everyone but me and J.A.R.V.I.S., who took forever to gain her trust. As a result of all this, we spent a lot of time together, got to know each other, and I, as annoying as it was, developed a crush on him. I have literally zero experience in that area, but I think I managed to hide it pretty well, since only Tasha and Clint noticed, thank the gods. That would have been embarrassing! Either way, my birthday came around, and Peter suggested going to a little restaurant/cafe thing that had a karaoke night, knowing how much I liked singing.

After we had eaten, a man in a pale blue suit came out. Thankfully, the thing was no where near how pastel Coach Hedge's had been. Piper found a picture of the suit for me, and let's just say it's something I never need to see again. He began explaining how there were four rounds of singing. One song alone, and two with a random partner voted on by those in the audience. Anyone could join at any time. So, I signed up, and was instantly ushered behind a curtain. I had no idea who was singing for a long time, and then it was my turn. The lights came up, and I waited as the music started, ready to sing.

Every time I sang the words "I'll walk through hell with you." I looked one of the Avengers in the eye, except for Peter, who wasn't there for some reason. Different emotions flashed through each of their eyes, though shock was a common factor. I meant those words with all my heart, and I knew exactly what it meant to say them. The only others who could possibly know were Percy, Annabeth, and Nico. It was a shared pain that I suppose never truly left someone's eyes, which is another possible reason for the shock, seeing all that in my eyes, though not being able to understand or put it into words or emotions. It was a simple feeling and knowledge that couldn't be expressed to any proper extent.

Soon enough, it was time for the first duet I was to participate in. I was stood on one mini-stage, behind a curtain that would draw back when I was supposed to start singing. The music started, and I heard a voice coming from beyond the curtain. It took me a moment, but I recognized it as Peter's! We had been singing Disney songs really late one night at the tower because the others had a party to go to, and we just started singing. Come on, it's Disney! What else was going to happen?

(Peter, Jo, Both)

I can show you the world.
Shining, shimmering, splendid.
Tell me princess, now when did you last let your heart decide?

I can open your eyes.
Take you wonder by wonder.
Over, sideways, and under,
On a magic carpet ride!

A whole new world,
A new fantastic point of view.
No one to tell us no,
Or where to go,
Or say we're only dreaming.