Prologue - Lessons into Laurences

- updated - 

Charles Laurence was a refined man. A father. A public figure.

He was also a murderer.

It wasn't due to an unfortunate upbringing on his part, but rather to the witches who showed uncivilised behaviour. Vulgar and crude, they threatened to sully his perfect town. They performed cheap magic for thrills and coins and he rarely saw a powerful witch on the streets any more. The important witches, the noble Cast families, stayed up on Melas Road and did nothing to preserve their race's dignity. The responsibility fell to Charles; he had to rid his perfect town of the disgusting behaviour. He would not let Fallyn fall to ruins.

They did have one use though – their blood. The strongest vampires drank from witches, a known behaviour in Charles's close circle. Only the most prestigious vampire clans dared to strive higher and drink witch blood. And only the most prestigious vampire clans were successful.

Almost every vampire was a killer, although there were few exceptions. But Charles went beyond being a simple killer. Charles Laurence was known as a mass witch murderer.

'Notorious murderer' wasn't his favourite label, but even so, he wore it with pride. None of the townsfolk enjoyed having to kick off the begging witches, who clutched at their ankles as they walked down the street.

Of course, he did take the witches home. They became the entertainment for many of his parties, he was the most spectacular host. Guests raved about his parties, mainly for the meals he served. Witches followed him home happily, the ones living in poverty were dying to have a warm shelter for the night.

For decades, his guests would drink from them and throw the empty corpses to the floor, leaving the Laurence maids to clean up the piles the next day.

He mainly went for the poor witches, but Charles Laurence was quite adventurous. He enjoyed the chase when he targeted Melas Road in the 90s. They were powerful, and willing to take him down; the two High Circles formed to plot against him.

But one slip up from a couple desperate to keep their daughter alive meant Charles was prepared. He killed them anyway.

So he targeted the coven back, taking down the Phantomes, Powells and Laysons. He killed both of the Fantome witches, leaving their child to grow up with Hazelle. He knew not to cross her, and also knew she wouldn't start a war with him. Hazelle wanted to keep the peace, and protect her vulnerable witches. He took a witch from both the Powells and Laysons, but left the other. We can't have it all.

There was one family who beat him. A family he'd now hold a grudge against for decades. He managed to take the man, he had fun with him. Charles found that parties are more successful when music is replaced with the screams of a once proud man.

But he lost track of what was happening. The small victory weighed too much and he got wrapped up. He didn't notice that there were less witches and more whispers. Less parties and more planning.

He didn't notice Celena Archer slipping out of his fingers until it was too late.