11 - Sharks Don't Stop

- updated -

For the next few weeks, I avoided the clique as best as I could. I couldn't avoid them entirely because I lived with a member. But Daisy was so completely different to the others, she was my friend before anything else.

The weeks passed, sometimes they blurred and sometimes they dragged. I'd put the scene in the woods to be a nightmare, which wasn't a one time thing. I had nightmares most nights. They all involved death and agony, and I found myself constantly wearing baggy jumpers or long sleeved tops to hide the bruises and scratches that the nightmares seemed to result in. Daisy never freaked out about it, waking up with me most nights and sorting me out before putting me back in bed. We never spoke about the night time, so I could never tell her that I appreciated her help.

Clover quickly became my closest friend here. Her group woke up a lot later than the clique, so Daisy took to waking me just as she left for breakfast so I was ready in time when Clover appeared at my door.

The first breakfast after my nightmare wasn't nearly as easily executed. I woke up with Daisy, but chose not to leave with her. I put off breakfast, I packed my bag slowly and spent extra time applying my makeup. Eventually though, I knew that I had to leave.

Breakfast at Ambrose was served in two waves; the first wave was served at six and eaten by seven. The second wave was served at half seven and eaten by half eight. The clique usually eats at the food hall for just after six, so I waited until past seven before I dragged myself down to get food.

The school was still subdued, most students were spending their mornings in the church on campus to honour Katy. Ambrose catered to all students with a small church, a synagogue and a mosque on the campus. Non religious students, or those who didn't know Katy were the only ones to show up for breakfast.

I walked into the hall, expecting to sit alone to eat. I wasn't exactly ecstatic to be greeted by a waving Clover, who had saved me a seat. After all, she was the whole reason for this mess. But I was relieved to see a friendly face, someone who was willing to sit with me. She had also saved me a hot meal, after listening to my complaints about the soggy cereal. We sat in silence for a while as we ate, avoiding conversation until Felix and Lei showed up and started chatting to us. Felix kissed me on the cheek, calm and slow as if that kiss hadn't happened the night before. I wasn't complaining, I was still trying to organise my thoughts and forget about Aurel. After that morning on my third day, I spent all my mornings with them and walked to the food hall with Clover.

Aurel wasn't in the hall on the third morning. I had noticed the clique was just finishing up on the other side of the room, but she wasn't with them. Daisy had caught my eye and smiled, while Skye glared at me. On the occasion that we passed each other, she softly hummed a gentle tune. But I recognised it, it was the same one she had sung the night before. I couldn't ask about it, but the sly smile she shot me and the triumphant grins from Cal hinted that it did happen. I didn't understand how they'd managed it, or some of what they'd said. The logical explanation was that they'd borrowed equipment from the media classes, but I was starting to see that there was more to Ambrose than what met the eye. Now, I knew better than to provoke them, that night had told me what they were capable of – and willing to do.

Aurel wasn't only missing from breakfast that day, she was missing altogether. I had walked to social studies with an eager Felix, who wanted to know everything about my sudden split from the clique. I patiently reminded him that I was never in with them, but he didn't listen. He grabbed my hand, giving me a shy smile. I smiled back, though it felt empty. He reluctantly left me to deal with the wrath of Aurel, or her stony silence.