Nibs & Radishes

“What am I supposed to do with her?” A thin, raspy voice called out, waking Nora from her sleep. Muted light streamed through muslin curtains and Nora batted open her eyes. Books surrounded her on all sides, the rich scent of paper and dust meeting her nose. She was still lying inside the casket, but her hands and feet had been untied and the lid lifted. Now, the casket was more like a makeshift cot.  

Nora sat up a little to see the creature that had spoken; he was hunched over, all skin and bones, with long stringy hair and spindly fingers. By the looks of the tiny creature, he was no taller than Nora’s kneecaps.  He was facing towards Nora; busy talking to a man dressed in dark leather whose back was turned.

Through the bookcases, she could make out the two figures. But she had to strain to see, and her temples throbbed. She tried to push past the pain, to remember what had happened to her, how she had come to be here. Queen Aine had taken a memory from her before sending her off, but what? Something to do with her identity, but all she could remember was Queen Aine’s farewell. What is a game with only one player.

Queen Aine had put something in the casket. The thud of whatever-it-was dropping beside her was the very last memory Nora had before falling into a very deep sleep. Quickly she ran her hands over the linen-lined walls, until her hands contacted cool metal.

She grabbed for it, but the metal was wedged between the sides. When she managed to get it out into the light, she realized it was beautifully carved switchblade.  The handle was mother-of-pearl and the blade itself was razor sharp. Suddenly, it all made sense. Queen Aine wanted her to kill Queen Una.

How could they play their riddling game for Nora’s life, if Queen Una wasn’t around to play? It made perfect sense, but the thought of killing made Nora’s stomach twist and tangle in a million different knots.

She tried to lie perfectly still, not wanting to draw any attention. Her heart hammered against her chest as she slipped the blade up her dress sleeve, concealed from prying eyes. No one needed to know that she was armed.

“I don’t care what you do with her, Nibs.” The man in leather bellowed. “The Queen wants her kept here. She’s to be fed a steady diet of books, radishes, and Fae history with special attention paid to Riddling Lore.”

“But those things won’t make a human any more clever,” Nibs said. “We all know that. She’s as good as done for... Her blood is our payment. We all know that.”

“Her blood is none of your concern. The Queen wishes to have a worthy opponent before the riddling match. So you will do your best to instruct her in our ways.”

“Fine. But let it be noted, that I don’t think this will help at all. If anything, it will just frighten her more and quicken her death.”

Nora hated the way they talked about her, like her fate was sealed. The one thing that drove her crazy more than anything was being told she didn’t have a chance to succeed. She’d been told that enough growing up, in and out of foster homes, like she was just some scumbag kid. Whoever Nibs was, she was determined to prove him wrong. A human could be a worthy opponent.

“Noted.” The man in leather walked out, and Nora felt a sigh of relief escape her. There was something very ominous about him, but now she would have to face Nibs.