Kiss The Queen

Chapter 11-Kiss The Queen

“Every one is a moon, and has a dark side that he never shows to anybody.”

-Mark Twain

The air was still as Nora scanned the tree that the Woman In The Woods disappeared into. She felt like someone was watching her, waiting to see what her next move would be. Suddenly, she knew that she couldn’t be in the middle of the clearing anymore. Drenched from the rain, she quickly made her way through the forest, heading back towards the Seely Court. She wanted to change into dry clothes and find something that fit her better; she was at least a few inches taller now. Her shirt and pants were both too short, making her look like she was wearing someone else’s clothes.

Nora tried to ignore her growing sense of alarm as she made her way out of the woods, down the grassy hill, and approached the gate. She had been lucky before that no one had caught her wandering outside, and she hoped to be lucky again. The idea of getting caught was not part of her plan.

Two low voices echoed towards her on the wind, her heightened hearing picking up their hushed conversation. Whoever they were, they were by the gate. Nora’s mind raced, thinking of what to do next. Her eyes strained to see the figures, dressed in leather and with swords attached to their hips. They had to be guards. Scanning the hill, Nora tried to look for another entrance and took one step forward, making a squishing sound as her wet shoes slipped on the grass.

“Did you hear that?” one of the guards said.

“Shh...” the other guard replied, pushing open the gate.

They walked out of the gate, looking for the source of the noise. Desperately, Nora looked around for somewhere to hide but she was exposed on the hill and felt rooted to the ground, not wanting to make any more noise. All the guards had to do was look up and they would spot her.

“You there!” the guard hollered. “Come down here.”

Panic spread through Nora’s body, but she had no choice but to walk over to the guards. Her only hope was that she didn’t look human and might be able to pass for living in the Court. As she approached, the second guard whispered something, his eyes growing wide.

“My apologies for speaking to you that way,” the first guard said who had ordered her down the hill. “I didn’t realize it was you. Probably because you are drenched. Come inside and get warm.”

“Wait ... you know who I am?” Nora asked, remembering the reflection in the queen’s mirror and not thinking it looked anything like her human self. The Fae reflection had a vague resemblance to her human self but one image was clearly human and the other was something much darker.

“Of course we know who you are. Everyone was at the celebration. We didn’t think you’d be outside the Court walls. Please come in,” the guard said, ushering her inside the Court.

“So ... I’m not in trouble?” Nora felt dumbfounded as they helped her inside and gave a quizzical look at her clothing that looked two sizes to small.

“Trouble? You can do as you please...” the guard said, lowering his head.

Confusion gripped Nora. The guards treated her as if she was someone else or perhaps Queen Aine forgot to tell the guards that she had to stay inside.

“I’ll go back to my rooms now,” Nora said, walking away.

“Do you need someone to take you back?” the guards asked.

“I can find my way.” Nora turned around and looking at them. Their eyes grew wide, like they were trying to memorize the features of her face.

“She’s so different,” the guard whispered, but Nora’s ears picked up their conversation.