Fridha

Chapter 12- Fridha

“Jealousy is the tie that binds, and binds, and binds.”

-Helen Rowland

The next morning, Nora kept glancing at her door waiting for Ardan to come back. He had said that he would be back early, and Nora couldn’t help but think that something had gone wrong.

“Pops, where do you think he is?”

“Probably with the Queen,” she said matter-of-factly. “He can’t just leave if she wants him to stay with her.”

“But what if he forgot?” Nora muttered, glancing up from her chair and into the mirror that showed a Fae’s reflection.

“He didn’t forget. I’ll try and find him later if he doesn’t show up soon. You have to look human again.”

“I don’t care about that. I just don’t want to be hidden in this room forever.”

“Well you brought this on yourself.” Poppy turned her back to Nora. “And now we both could be in big trouble. So you have to stay in here until we can turn you back.”

A rapid knocking came from the door and Nora immediately stood up to answer it. Standing in the doorway was Ardan, his face blank, and his eyes red around the edges.

“Finally,” Nora said, feeling a wave of relief wash over her. But her relief was soon replaced with fear when he spoke.

“Come with me,” he said quickly, grabbing Nora’s arm and jerking her out to the passageway. He was like a robot, not looking in her eye, and shoving her around.

Poppy flew over to them and started pulling at Nora’s shirt trying to yank her away from Ardan, but it was useless. Poppy was too small to help. “What are you doing with her? You can’t take her out looking like this! Are you crazy?”

“I have orders to take her to the Queen. There is no time for petty conversation.”

“Well there better be some time to make her look human!” Poppy said, looking frantic as Nora was whisked down the passageway. “Do something so she doesn’t look so Fae like.”

Nora’s heart felt like it was in her throat, her arm hurting as he gripped her with his bare hand, fingers digging into her skin.

“The Queen commanded me to bring Nora in the same condition that I found her. She goes looking like this,” he said in a gruff whisper.

“Ardan,” Nora pleaded, practically running next to him trying to keep up as he dragged her behind him. “Why are you doing this?”

Silence was Nora’s only answer. It was like he was a different person.

Nora looked back at Poppy fluttering behind them in the passageway. Anger was etched across her face. “Pops, what’s going on?”

“Any one who serves the Queen and is commanded to do something by her, must carry out the orders exactly. Or they risk death. Isn’t that right, Lord Ardan?” Poppy asked.

“Enough. I don’t need reminders about what I risk if I don’t carry out the command.”

Nora’s mind raced, trying to think of how she would explain herself to the Queen. She knew that they were getting closer to the Queen’s chambers because she could hear faint pipe music and the sound of stringed instruments.

Ardan paused, making Nora stop suddenly as he turned her around. He lowered his eyes, then looked up at her. “I’ll figure out how to fix this. I promise.”