Chapter 2: Not So Sweet Dreams

Jonah's POV

"MINE!!"

I sat bolt upright as the haze of my dream slowly faded away. It took me a few moments to take in my surroundings. The seconds pasted and everything regained its clear appearance. I raked a hand through my hair and gazed around my bedroom.

The dark purple walls patterned with my various paintings from over the years, the two dark mahogany bed-side dressers on either side of my queen sized bed. The mahogany desk adjacent to the tall mahogany dresser in the corner of the far wall.

There's one word that perfectly describes my bedroom: dark. I laughed to myself. How ironic. I always hated the dark. With darkness came danger, loneliness, and voulnerability. But now, the darkness brings me comfort. I welcome the loneliness the darkness brought. I'd much rather prefer to be lonely rather than tormented. No one could hurt me here.

I looked to my left toward my ceiling to floor window. The sun was just starting to make its appearance. Time to say my final goodbyes to the darkness. I craned my neck to the right and peered over at my alarm clock perched atop my bedside table. 4:16 it read. Of course. I don't even bother setting an alarm anymore. I always wake up before it goes off anyway.

I threw the comforter off my body and climbed out of bed. I stretched my arms above my head and winced as my joints popped back into place and my bruised ribs made themselves known. I immediately dropped my arms back down to my sides.

I grabbed the hem of my shirt and gingerly lifted it up to expose my battered and bruised torso. Damn it I thought those would have healed by now. It's times like this I thank the spirits that I no longer have to participate in P.E. Thankfully it's Sunday, no school, thank heavens.

I ran through all my chores in my head trying to figure out what was left to do. Laundry? Done. Homework? Done of course. I may hate school but that doesn't mean I slack off. I am very much proud of my 4.0 GPA. I'm getting off track here. What's left? All the cleaning and shopping is done and I don't have work today. Huh it's rare that I have a full day off. So then what?

At that moment my wolf let out a broken whimper. What is up with him lately? Even in the worst of times he never showed himself but lately he's been chomping at the bit nearly everyday and for what I don't know. I let him out for a run a while ago but maybe that wasn't good enough. It was a small secluded area which I admit wasn't very vast in size but there aren't very many areas near by with an abundance of uninhibited land except for..........

"THERE!"

At that moment my world tilted. Suddenly I wasn't standing inside my bedroom anymore. No, this place was darker and far more empty than my solitary little room could ever be. I jerked my head from left to right trying to make sense of where I was but I saw nothing. The darkness seemed to go on forever.

There was a faint ringing at the back of my head that was steadily getting louder. I brought my hands up and pressed them on either side of my head. GOD it feels like it's gonna split open!!

The ringing continued but the louder it got, the less it sounded like ringing. More like.......whining. Like when you lock your dog outside and it whines and whimpers begging for entry. Damn it what's going on!!! I squealed my eyes shut praying this would all end soon. This is far worse than any nightmare I've had.

Please please please just make it stop. Make it stop. Make it stop! MAKE IT STOP!!!

"-nah!!!.......Jonah!! JONAH!!!"

My eyes flew open and scanned the area. Am I loosing it? Has the trauma of my past finally caught up to me?

"Jonah calm down. Just breathe. I'm here, nothing's going to happen. You just have to calm down and let me in."