Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2

                                                                       THE EGG SNATCHER

        Black cliffs surrounded the dark and shallow dip in the stony ground. The wind howled through the canyon like a monster. In the dip was a gathering of six wolves. One was standing in a dominant stance. He was a black wolf with red, gleaming eyes. His dark fur had a strange red glow. He was talking to a wolf who was black on one side and white on the other. The color switched from white to black right down the middle of his face. Even his nose switched from a dark color to a light color.

      "Switcher", the red glowing wolf said menacingly.

      "Yes, master", the black and white wolf said bowing.

      "Have you located them?"

      "Yes, I have, master."

     "Have they obtained them yet?"

    "Two have, master", Switcher said,"The other is on its way."

     "Arrrrgh. How could we have missed them?" Regaining his stature, the glowing wolf said,"Switcher, call on the thief. I have a proposition for her."

     "Yes, master." Switcher bowed then turned and walked down a tunnel hidden in the shadows.

      "Thorn", the glowing wolf snarled.

      "Yes, my lord", said a big, dark brown wolf.

       "You and Allie are going to the Northern Watch, stir up trouble and then one of you will go to the Eastern Watch and do the same."

      "Yes, my lord", answered a cream colored she-wolf, bowing, her purple eyes staring at Thorn with suspicion. He stared right back with undisguised hatred glowing in his orange eyes.

     "Go now!", the dark wolf snarled in disgust.

      At that, Allie and Thorn turned and walked down the main entrance to the hollow.

      "My son, you heard what Switcher said. I want you to go to the one on its way to obtaining it. If she obtains it, then get close to her, do whatever it takes to get her on our side. You leave when the moon is at its fullest. That's in about three days."

      "Yes, father", came a voice from the shadows.

      "Another thing. Have you succeeded in your last mission?"

      "Yes, father. I'm now a wolf in the Numarian Empire and I have a Flight Spirit", the voice said.

       "Good. Now you are dismissed. Your mother and I have things to discuss."

      "As you wish, father." His pawsteps receeded to a dark tunnel and faded.

       "My love", said a pretty light, gray she-wolf with beautiful purple eyes. She was lying down in back of the glowing wolf with one paw curled. "What have we to discuss? Do I have a mission?"

       "Yes, Flora, you do. I want you to pick the strongest, most skilled students from your class, and then report them to me for your mission. I will tell you what it is now. I want you to find the temple of the hidden Desert City. I have reasons to believe the temple is hidden underneath that ancient city."

       "But, my love, the Black Pups are there. They have powers even beyond what the Numarian wolves have. The legends say so."

      Just then a stone tumbled down from a cliff.