Chapter Ten- Alter Ego

<<<V*O*T*E<<< COMMENT<<<ENJOY :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Would you like to explain yourself?” Aunt Becky stood with her arms defensively crossed over her chest, hip popped pristinely for disciplining purposes.

“Huh?” Not once had it crossed my mind to inform my aunt about the recent goings on.

“Your school informed that you missed nearly all of your classes today, unexcused. Care to elaborate?”

“Oh, I didn’t feel well…” I averted my eyes, wondering if I should just tell her or quickly fabricate a believable lie.

“Look, I grew up with your mother. I always knew when she’d been feeding, don’t think for one second that I’m okay with it,” I looked into her face and saw more of my mother seeping through her features.

“I wasn’t feeding,” I retorted tersely through clenched teeth.

“Then why did the school tell me you left campus with Dean Cooper?  You lie to me, Astraea, and you’re back to your moms.”

“Some girls were making fun of me, he just took me to get some lunch and we caught a movie, okay?” I did my best to look embarrassed and slightly hurt. The lie was going to have to do for now.

“What were they making fun of you for?” Her eyes changed to the concerning aunt she had been days before.

“I’m the new girl, it comes with the territory,” I shrugged.

“I’m so sorry, honey. Well next time, at least text me and tell me what’s going on. And I don’t want you spending too much time with this Dean, it’s dangerous for you and him.”

“I know, thanks,” I smiled and went upstairs, hoping to escape the third degree.

How are you holding up?

My mind welcomed the soft voice of Dean.

I’m fine, my aunt interrogated me, though. Do you think I should tell her about all of this?

I was getting used to the intense connection Dean and I developed, it felt natural and comforting.

Let’s wait until we know exactly what we’re doing. I’ll pick you up for school tomorrow, is that okay?

I smiled, thinking about how pointless my phone was now, texting was a thing of the past.

Ya, good night, Dean

Night beautiful

Hot water stained my skin red as I breathed the steam deep into my lungs. I lathered my skin, attempting to wash away all the problems my life was producing and throwing in my face.

“Clair, I don’t think she’s fed yet,” my aunt’s voice was low and different, altered in some way I couldn’t tell.

“What’s taking her so damn long?” My mother’s voice was impatient and crisp.

I held the loofa to my skin, frozen under the hot droplets of water as my ears brought the conversation from somewhere in the house to right under my skin.

“She’s with a boy, though. It won’t be long until she can’t control herself.”

“We’ve waited so long for this, she’ll be stronger than ever the more she waits. That bitch had to go have sex… we could’ve let her develop a couple more years! But it’ll have to do,” my mom’s words were cryptic.