Chapter 16

That proposal in the cafe was a memorable moment of my life. It was like...he got me dancing on a ceiling! But...do you really think I got married with Bradley? Well, no we didn't. Not engaged either. But we were going steady, like, girlfriend-boyfriend thing—he thought he was too old to be called a boyfriend, though. Yes, we started dating since then. Bradley said, considering my age and my parents, we’d better keep our relationship as a secret and wait for the right moment until we were ready. At least, the marriage offer proved that he was serious with me. We'd been together for a month. I didn't tell mom, dad, Clarissa, Kenneth, and Abby. Only Freddie who knew about Bradley, because he was the only person I could trust.

        Talking about Freddie, there was something going on between him and Clarissa. They had stopped fighting and sneering at each other. What surprised me more; she let him roaming around our house without ever yelling at him anymore. I wondered why. Clarissa always avoided my question, but I had this suspicion that she had developed a feeling for him. Well, of course she would never admit it. I knew how Clarissa was.

       Summer vacation was over. From the smell of the wind, and the leaves which were coming off the trees one by one, I knew that the fall was coming soon. And I was already back to campus. Back to the routine...the class...the auditorium...the library...the lecture and the assignments. I loved my college life, especially since I had had a boyfriend who lightened my days.

       As Mr.Reynolds finished his lecture about investment, I immediately ran into the parking lot, ignoring Nick Reed who called my name at the hall.

       "Sharona!"

       I just gestured at him using my hands, saying “talk to you later” in a random body language. I didn't know if he understood, but he gave me a friendly nod. Bradley was already waiting for me. He was standing next to his car, holding a bunch of white roses. Oh, how sweet! I approached him with a wide smile, and hopped on my feet to kiss his cheek.

       "Good afternoon, Darling. Here's for you, beautiful flowers for a beautiful girl."

       "Oh, stop it. Anyway, thank you."

       "Shall we go now?"

       "We shall.

       Bradley opened the car door for me and offered his hand. I reached it and jumped. He became more romantic day by day. We were going to his apartment, to cook our meal together and have a candle light dinner. Actually, it was his birthday.

       Bradley lived in a cozy apartment with a modern design in the middle of the town, alone. This would be the second time I visited his place, after last Saturday night we watched movie together there, ended up making out at the couch. It was just some kisses. I stopped him before he move further. I was not ready yet. "Wait until I turn seventeen." I had said sternly. Anyway, I felt a little bit uneasy that he became more demanding of physical contacts. He had not been like that before we started dating. How could he change so fast?

       "I've got something for you," Bradley said, grinning. We had just finished eating our home made spaghetti. It tasted delicious. He said I was a good cook. Thanks to mom who had taught me the recipe. I wiped my oily lips and asked,

       "Really, what's that?"

       "Ta da!"

       He took a cute little box out of his pocket. My eyes widened. I was picturing a sparkling ring in it as I received the gift nervously.

       "Uhm...what's in this?"

       I examined it carefully.

        "Just open it, “he said.

       I slowly opened the box and found a silver bracelet, with a butterfly pendant which carved with our initial at the back.

       "Oh my God...is this..."

       "It says I love you."

       I stared at him, smiling. Bradley helped me to put it around my wrist, and whispered 'I love you' softly.

       "Thank you very much...I like it. But this is supposed to be your day. I don't even bring any present." I shrugged.

       "You are my present, Sharona. Having you here is just enough for me,” he said, making me blushed.

       We continued our date night by lying on the balcony, staring at the stars. He held my hand and started kissing my delicate lips. I reacted by circling my arm around his neck, and our lips were collided. His other hand was moving slightly under my shirt. Then I suddenly thought about when he said, 'you ARE my present' and dirty thoughts came out of my mind. My brain said "It's a bad signal. Go NOW." So I pushed his body away a little bit roughly, trembling. Bradley was surprised.

        "What's wrong?"

       I was panting, tightened my grip on my shirt, which was pretty messed up.

       "It's okay, I'm just...it's late already. I gotta go home." I stood up and got into the living room, collecting my belongings.

       "Hey, are you mad at me?" He touched my shoulder. I shook my head.

       "No. It's just that...don't you remember? We've agreed to WAIT," I said.

       He raised his eyebrows, exhaled, and stared at me with a regret expression.

       "I'm sorry. I lost control."

       "Don't do it again next time."

       He offered to drive me home, but I refused. He realized that I was still annoyed and let me go, after kissed my forehead. I called Freddie, asking him to pick me up in front of a mini market located nearBradley's apartment. I was sitting on the stairs, waiting. Fifteen minutes later, he arrived.

       "You okay?" he asked, worried. I stood up and hugged him, crying.

       "What the hell did he do to you? Come, get in the van."