Chapter 13

When I opened my bedroom door, Freddie was there. No surprise. He always popped out everywhere suddenly and unexpectedly. And now I didn't really want to see him. I was in a bad mood because of last night’s conversation with Clarissa.

       "What's that silver thing on your ear?" I pointed out. Freddie, who was lying on my bed, reading comic book, gazed up at me. He grimaced.

       "Told you I was going to get a pierce."

       He rose his body up and stretched out his hands. Oh, yes. I forgot. I hoped his skin was not really tattooed. He didn't mention it. But look. He got a new haircut.

       I moved across the room and sat down at the edge of the window.

       "You know it's rude enough to enter my bedroom without permission. Now you're making my bed a mess," I sighed. Sometimes Freddie's impertinence was just intolerable. He got out of the bed, starting to smooth the bedcover with both hands.

       "I'm sorry, okay. You look rather gloomy today. Bad mood, huh?" he asked.

       "It's just that Clarissa said so many bad things about Bradley last night. And now that I'm thinking of it...she's just right."

       I gazed blankly through the window. Freddie came up to me and ruffled my hair.

       "Why do you even listen to her? All things come out of her mouth are wraths," he said, tapping my shoulder and sat beside me. All of a sudden, Clarissa came butting in, slamming the door. She looked upset seeing Freddie.

       "What the hell are you doing here? Get out of my room!"

       She stormed towards us and dragged Freddie's arm. I rolled my eyes, bored. The two people looked like cat and dog. I was sick of this kind of thing always happened whenever they bumped into each other.

       "Hey...keep your hands of me."

       He removed Clarissa's hand roughly.

       "Couldn't you just be a little nicer? Man, harsh girl. You'll get old fast," he snorted. Clarissa glared at him.

       "Okay, okay, I'm going." Freddie looked at me. "Catch you later, then,” he said.

        "Okay, Fred," I replied.

       "Oh, and hey, Clarissa. You look ugly when you're angry," Freddie mocked her.

       "Shut up!" Clarissa was going mad again, trying to strangle him or something, but Freddie avoided her smack by a quick movement. Unfortunately he lost his balance and was stumbling, unintentionally hit Clarissa's half-opened closet. Now it was blast-opened, showing all her stuff. Freddie looked right at the closet, his expression was shocked.

       "Are those...you keep them," he mumbled.

       "What?" I asked, confused. Clarissa turned around, panicked.

       "Just...out!" She pushed Freddie out and slammed the door on his face. I moved to the closet to see what was in there that had caught Freddie's eyes. There was a box full of unwrapped little presents. And roses which had been dried, and shriveled. And a jar of candies which I was sure already expired long time ago. And a bunch of letters. What were these?

       I put a red box which has a paper glued on it, it was written: Happy 12th birthday Clarissa. From Freddie.

       "Okay, step aside now, sister," said Clarissa. She closed the closet and locked it. I was staring at her.