Chapter 15

After I calmed down, Bradley decided that we need better place to do some serious chat. Then we stopped at the first cafe we passed. It was a terrace cafe, a very cozy place and they had the best pasta and meatballs ever. I and Clarissa had ever been here before, only once because the menus were rather expensive. Gosh, how on earth I can still feel hungry RIGHT NOW?

        Bradley ordered a cup of black coffee and for me, a cup of milk tea. I hoped the warm drinks could help reducing my anxiousness. I didn't care about caffeine the tea may contain, which could get me worse. At least it was milk tea, and I heard something in milk helps people to relax and reduce tension. It was rather funny thinking that those two contrast substances were mixed, wondering which would affect me the most.

       "I'll explain everything now," Bradley said, breaking the silence.

       "Of course. I think that's why we here. Go on," I said coldly, crossed my arms and gave him a sharp look, like a police who was interrogating the suspect. He looked at me for a second, then dropped his sight on the floor and talked.

       "I've told you about my past relationship with Tamara. I was an idiot because I had never asked her to marry me, and then regretted as she left me for other man. Now that everything's over, I’ve decided not to do the same mistake."

       He stared at me, waiting for me to respond.

       "I don't get it," I said.

       "I was broken-hearted. Then I met you at the camp, and realize that I might fall in love with you."

       "Might..." I mumbled, remembering about the day I ran out of the fast food restaurant, crying. He continued.

       "I was confused because it seems impossible that a man of 36 year-old like me has a crush in a 16 year-old girl. Moreover, you’re my friend's daughter. So I denied it, decided not to contact you ever and just gave you a bracelet as goodbye gift. But I just couldn't stop thinking about you and I called you in the middle of the night after the last time we had met. Then we had a date. I didn't even think what I was doing; I just enjoyed our time together. But I was still struggling with the fact that you are too young. So when you asked about our relationship, I didn't know how to answer. Once again, I was confused. I guess I hurt you."

       He stopped and looked at me. I didn't say anything.

       "Now I realize that it doesn't matter. Age doesn't matter. I love you. I don't want to lose you like I lost my lover before. I want you to be with me. It's simply about love, Sharona. That's all."

        I was stirring my milk tea, avoiding his eyes. My heart was beating slowly, I was thinking of what I just heard. He loved me. I had waited for him to say this all along. He might be a man I met at the camp and I didn't know much about him. But somehow I didn't care. I loved him too.

       I held his hand and smiled warmly. He looked surprised a little when I touched his hand.

       "I can't lie. I love you too," I said softly.