Chapter Thirteen

I couldn’t help to sit still in one spot from what I had just heard. So this is the Kiana that Miss Trina was talking about that morning? Well, no wonder she had such a negative attitude towards her. She was a mean one and I found it hard to see what Damien saw in her. But, maybe it wasn’t her attitude he cared about. Maybe he cared about the fact that she was pregnant and was possibly carrying his baby. This is what I overheard him and that girl talking about that night.

As much as I wanted to scream and let them know of my presence, I couldn’t. My head started to hurt from today and school wasn’t even over yet. I still had a rough one or two classes to survive until I could go home – well, Damien’s place.

I stood to my feet – I almost fell from the tiredness of my legs. I knew they were still around, so I crept back down the way that I came and didn’t think of it again. I didn’t want to think about the endless possibilities if Damien and Kiana would’ve caught me walking around. Kiana would probably rip my head off and Damien would probably be mad at me.

I couldn’t have Damien mad at me.

The bell rang out loudly signaling the start for seventh period and I exhaled in relief that this was the last class of the day. Back at Medgar Evers, we had block schedule meaning that we went to first period every day and switched between the classes. I was tired from having to endure seven classes a day; I just couldn’t do it.

I sat down in art class, the last class of the day. Of course, everyone looked at me as if I was some foreign animal because I was the new girl. I decided to take the seat in the far back, away from the classroom civilization.

“Hey there, Girly.” The sweet Southern voice that I have grown to love in such a short time sounded in my ears and a smile spread across my face. “I see we meet again.” Damien took the seat next to me even scooted over a little closer than I wanted him to be.

“Yeah, we do. How was your lunch? I was looking for you, but I couldn’t find you anywhere.” I replied and pulled out my notebook.

“I had some business to handle. It was nothing too important if you ask me. Nearly everybody has sixth period lunch, so nothing too extravagant. We can eat together tomorrow, if you like.” He suggested and flashed me that gorgeous smile.

“No, something may come up again.”

I didn’t say not another word to him as the teacher walked in and settled the class down. For the next two hours, I kept silent and paid Damien no mind. My feelings were actually a little hurt because he didn’t make any effort to make me talk to him or anything. Maybe he doesn’t care.

I walked behind Damien into the cool air conditioner of the house falling over me. For it to be the beginning of November, it was quite humid. It reminds of the time I visited Florida during the fall when I was younger. That was during a time period when my parents actually cared. Damien turned his separate way into the kitchen and I walked past him and to my bedroom. I heard the footsteps of Miss Trina upstairs and I smiled, knowing that she would ask me to come help her at the restaurant today.

I put down my textbooks and book bag while digging my feet into the plush carpet of the room. I released my hair from the ponytail holder and exhaled in more relief. It felt good to be back home and in a place to call home. It might not be my real home, but it’s way better than that place I once tried calling home. This was more than better than being homeless and walking around aimlessly with four thousand dollars in my bag.

“Girly,” Damien knocked on my door and walked in without me telling him to. “What’s wrong? You haven’t spoken to me since art and you left me at the flagpole when it was time to go home. What’s up, lady?” I hate the fact that his melodic accent could make my heart swoon so easy.