Chapter Ten

Everything in me wanted to ponder with Damien's mind and ask him who Kiana was. But, from the way he reacted to his mom, I knew better than to ask him. Whoever she was, she had to be a fragile topic because I noticed how bad he choked up from the mention of her name. And she had to be someone of strong existence if Miss Trina spoke of her so easily, not even hesitating with her flow of conversation. And the way that his rang with a little anger and irritation sent my curiosity on alarm. Did she attend school with us when we were younger? Is she even still alive? Who was she to him and why does he get so defensive at the mention of her name? Those are questions I need answers to.

Today was a quiet night as I lay in the plush and comfortable bed of my room. All was quiet and the only noises I could hear was the air conditioner and faint talking. It sounded really close and I was curious as to who would be downstairs this time of night? The only ones that stayed here were Damien, Miss Trina, and Miss Annette and I'm pretty sure they.wouldn't have company this time of night. Well, why don't you go check and see? My conscience screamed at me as I sat up in bed. It's not any of my business, so I best leave it alone.

I looked at the red numbering of my bedside clock and sighed. 2:12 in the morning and I'm supposed to be at "school" in five hours. I stood to my feet and slipped on my fuzzy slippers, walking towards the door. As carefully as I could, I pulled my door open and stepped into the hallway. The kitchen and eating area was dimly lit by the hanging ceiling light fixture. Two shadows sat up against the wall as I stepped to the end.

To my surprise, a girl of average height and short sandy brown hair sat across from Damien. Who is she? A stressful and upset look.covered his face as his eyes glanced in my direction. I turned around quickly, hoping that he didn't see me. Slowing my breathing, I stood against the wall and listened.

"That's not my fault Makayla. She already knows the deal between us." An exasperated cry for help squeaked from his throat.

"I know, I know. But, be realistic for a moment, D. You both should've known the possible consequences of dealing with each other." The Makayla girl spoke next and she pushed a piece of hair behind her ear.

Running a hand across his face, he groaned and looked at her. "Can you at least help me out?"

"By what? Getting her to get rid of it? Hell no! Damien, you know that I don't roll like that. I can't believe you."

"I didn't mean that. I'm not some heartless person, Makayla. It's just that I didn't think we were actually that close after she did what she did." What did she do?

"Okay, okay. I'll see what I can do. Will I see you in school tomorrow?"

Damien nodded his head and smiled. "Of course. See you later Makayla."

As she stood from her seat, I turned on my heels and quickly ran in the room. I went to the bathroom to make it seem like I was awake to use it. After hearing the front door close, I got into bed and lay there, the sheets covering me. I could hear Damien's footsteps coming towards the room. The door opened and I saw his stern silhouette in the doorway.

"Girly? Are you asleep?"

His voice was low and soft; it was one of his best assets. Without giving him an answer he walked over and shut the bathroom light off. I could feel him hovering over me as he leaned down and kissed my forehead.

"Goodnight, beautiful." He walked out the room and the door closed immediately behind him. I let out a harsh breath and looked at the ceiling.

Goodness, this is something else!

The morning sun shined through the blinds as my nose twitched from the amazing aromas of food. I sat up in the bed and looked around the room. I was a little tired from my late night rendezvous of eavesdropping, but I'll live.