Chapter Two

Night approached the city fast and the temperature was dropping. A chilly breeze blew over and whipped my hair all around. Street lights buzzed as they powered on and it's as if the streets took a whole new meaning. I looked at the watch that adorned my wrist and it was nearly nine at night. People who lived the fast night life started to crowd the streets and I immediately felt out of place.

But how can I feel out of place when I've been abused all my life?

That's exactly what surrounded me at this very moment. Girls walked down the cracking concrete sidewalk with confidence. Broken, yet alive confidence, that is. Their hips and asses looked noticeable and enticing in the short skirts they were wearing. Their hips swayed from side to side as the tall stilettos that they were wearing. Smiles covered their forever gorgeous faces as thugs and gangsters tried to holler at them.

Seeing their voluptuous bodies made me look down at my own body. I didn't have mad curves like them and I wasn't a thick girl. But, I still had a nice body to be the age that I am.

"Aye, Ma! Let me holla' at 'chu." One of thug various thugs started approaching me as I slowly walked down the sidewalk. My heart raced with a nervous feeling and my stomach flip flopped. I didn't know what to do and I definitely don't know how to react.

"N-No, I'm okay." I said meekly and looked down. I adjusted the weight of my bag and picked up the pace of my walking.

"Don't run from me! I just wanna talk!" His thick Brooklyn accent was loud in my ears as he came closer to me.

I huffed and rolled my eyes. "Well, I don't want to talk. Please, leave me alone." I said and glared at him. He smiled and showed me nothing but a perfect row of gold teeth. I rolled my eyes again in disgust and walked away.

I continued walking down the street - well numerous streets for that matter - and I was lost on where to go. I didn't really have any friends whose house I could go to. And I really didn't have any family in this area for that matter. All of my mom's family lives in Ocala, Florida; however, they disowned my mom once she married my dad because of who he was. They didn't like him at all. Over in Albany, my dad's family lived. But, that's too far to walk and the subways and buses don't run at this time. I could catch a cab, but cab drivers are nothing but pervs.

"How did I end up here?" I said to myself in a low voice.

Oh, that's right. I ran away because I was being abused and neglected. I felt so cold on the inside and empty as well. My mind was swirling of thoughts about my parents. They'd probably already made it home by now and are wondering where I am. Maybe they're even happy and jumping with absolute joy that I finally left. My mom might be a little discouraged that she didn't find my body sprawled out somewhere in the house. Knowing my mom, she probably even ran into the house in hopes of finding me dead in a puddle of blood due to a self-inflicted gunshot wound. But, boy was she wrong. And my dad; do I need to say more? He may be mad on the fact that he won't have a personal punching bag anymore. I'm glad I won't have to be that punching bag anymore. It's my mom's turn for that. He's probably having a drink and getting ready to take a shot of liquidized heroin.

I don't care anymore. They're no longer factors in my life.

I walked along the main street, and my stomach began to growl. I didn't realize that I haven't eaten since this morning. Cars zoomed past me and whipped up more bone chilling wind. I pulled my jacket tighter against my body; hoping that I'd find somewhere warm where I could sit and eat. The night life of the Bronx wasn't pretty. I thought day life was scary, but night life was even scarier. Even on the main streets where you think there'd be an ounce of good, it's still night life everywhere. My stomach growled again and on the corner I saw a local restaurant. It wasn't fancy, but one of those side family owned places that appears every once in a while in the 'hood. I adjusted my bag once more and walked inside.

The fresh aromas of homemade food ambushed my nose and gave my heart a warm and homey feeling. An older African American woman was handling the counter and taking orders. I went over and took a seat at the end of the bar. From my position, I had a clear view of the front door and the back kitchen area. Smiles covered every employees face as they worked and prepared the meals. I even shed a tear at the thought of the last time I actually had a genuine smile cover my face.

"Hey there, sugar. How can I help you this fine evening?" The lady from when I first walked in, came over to take my order. Her thick southern accent made me smile and it warmed my heart. Up close, I could see how pretty she was and she resembled an older version of Halle Berry.

"Hi. Can I just have some chicken and mac-and-cheese?" I said and placed the menu down.

"That's all. Child, you look hungry." She said.

"Yeah, that's all. I'll probably get something to go so I can take it home." I said and my heart weighed heavy. Home. Psh, yeah right.

"Alright, darlin'. It'll be out soon." She said and walked between the swinging double doors into the back. I peeped around the corner a little and made eye contact with a boy who looked to be around my age. He looked as if he wanted to say something, but I rejected. I just got my food in no time and left.

The night air was even more chilly as I walked around the Bronx aimlessly. I didn't know where to go. I had nowhere to go. I passed Skid Row and thought about settling there for the night. But, that was way out of the deal. I continued walking until I made it to the Monterrey Park area and found a brand new mattress. It must've fallen off a truck, I thought to myself and took a seat on it. It was comfortable and felt much better than the bed I had at home. I pulled out the food from my bag and took a bite of the kitchen.

"Oh my God, this is so good!" I exclaimed out loud and ate more. She gave me more than I ordered and even a second take out container of food. As I reached for a napkin, a little note fell out onto my lap. I picked it up and read it while covering my mouth.

'Don't worry, darlin'. You'll find a nice and loving home soon.'

I choked on a sob and looked around. Tears ran down my face at the harsh realization that I no longer have a home. I no longer have a family; although I never had a real family. I put the food away as I quickly lost my appetite. That'll just be food for tomorrow. I laid down on my side and watched as traffic died down and the sky filled with more stars. I said a small prayer to God and closed my eyes.

This is what the rest of my life will be like.