War Isn't Pretty

Adrian's POV

I looked over at my girlfriend, packing our daughters things into a camo rucksack. I couldn't help but to think that this wasn't how it should be. A sixteen year old boy, with the combat training of the special forces we read about in our history books, dating a sixteen year old girl, who has the same skills, raising a three year old little girl on a battle field. 

It should've been Alejandra and I relaxing on the beach with our three year old little girl building sandcastles, not running from bombs. But America died fifty years ago, and the American dream of peace, safety, and happiness died with it. All that we have left are the states borders, and we only have those because of the different mobs taking control of the states. Mob wars broke out regularly.

Pushing these thoughts to the back of my head, I loaded the Humvee with the rest of our bags. I crushed a few special pills and slipped the powder into Analis's sippy cup. It would knock her out before our jump time. Alejandra took Analis and laid her in a makeshift bed beside the gunners mount in the Humvee. Aaliyah and Dorian both swung in the Humvee simultaneously, and put a hand on the gunners mount. Roque climbed in the passenger seat and Tasha picked up Analis and laid her on her lap. Allyson and Kaitlyn, despite much opposition, were riding with Brandon and Ariana's team. Alejandra laughed at Aaliyah and Dorian and hopped in the drivers seat. I closed the back door of the Humvee, and climbed on the roof, sliding through the hatch of the gunners mount. 

Seeming as we were still in friendly territory, I dropped down to the seat and slammed the hatch closed. I took Analis from Tasha, and let her cuddle to my chest. Alejandra and I had agreed that Analis would be jumping with me, as I had more experience with the HALO jumps. 

We pulled up to the airport and began to unload our bags onto the C-5. Like her daughter, Frank Ghadi's wife, Sandra, loved to fly, and volunteered to take us to the drop zone. She kissed her daughters goodbye, embracing me in a warm hug as well. 

We had about 40 minutes before we reached the height we were supposed to be at. I strapped Analis so tightly to me that Brandon asked me if she could breathe.

Alejandra's POV

I always loved HALO jumps. High altitude, low opening jumps. It gave you time to think as you soared through the crisp night. To my left, my boyfriend carried our daughter, his eyes fixed on his altitude calculator. Across from me, my detail, Roque and Aaliyah were signing to each other, keeping a close eye on their calculators as well. No one wanted to miss their opening. To my right, Adrian's detail let themselves fall gracefully, almost carelessly.  As I heard my mothers aircraft circle again, I knew my sister would be jumping with Brandon very soon. 

I checked my altitude gauge, it read 14,000 feet. Another 4,000 feet, and I'd have to pull my chute. I began scanning the terrain for a comfortable settling area for the night. I spotted an area near a river; an excellent spot because of the running water, and tree coverage. I aimed my body toward a small clearing near it, and pulled my chute. 

I hit the ground and rolled, pulling a knife out of my leg holster, and cutting the parachute cords. I balled my parachute up and threw it in the woods.

Suddenly my radio crackled alive.

"Team one, be advised. Intel shows that Lorenzo radar has picked you up, and they are deploying a team to find you."

Everyone looked at me and Adrian. I took a deep breath to calm my heart. Adrian began directing his team to ambush points around the river. I unhooked Analis from the carrier on his back and strapped her to mine. She was still knocked out from the drugs, and probably wouldn't be awake for a while. 

"Roque, come with me. We'll set up a sniper hide in those trees. Ariana, stay with Adrian." I said, then looking at Adrian I said "Hablar con el equipo de dos a caer de nuevo."

Everyone looked at me like I was crazy, except Adrian. He replied: "Nosotros no vamos a necesitar de ellos." with a smile.

I started for the tree, covering my luggage with a few pieces of camouflage. Pulling a rope from my backpack, I slung it around a tree branch and used it to work my way up the tree. I set up my sniper rifle and positioned it on my knee. Roque was doing the same thing, in a tree directly to my right.

As soon as the sixth bullet clicked into his rifle, I heard ruffling in the trees. I put my eye to my infared scope and began scanning for targets. I quickly located the ground team's positions, because we had ice packs on our shoulders, that made us easier to spot for our own snipers. I tapped the tree lightly, grabbing Roque's attention. When he looked at me, I tapped my own earpiece. He moved quietly and put his in. 

I set my scope and whispered, "Drop the guy on the right in five, four, three, two," a fraction of a second later, the two men on patrol were laying side by side, dead, without knowing what hit them. I looked over at Roque and smiled, before two silenced gunshots rang out. The firefight was on. 

The ground team jumped to end it quickly, and Roque and I helped when we could. I felt my rope start to shift, and heard someone start to climb. I pretended not to notice, but slowly reached for my knife. I felt a hand on my shoulder, and I jammed the knife into my attackers heart, and turned around. He fell out of the tree, with an L under his ear, I knew who he was. 

War ain't pretty, but victory is pretty sweet.

___________________________________________________________________________

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IM DOIN YALL BUT IT WORKED BECAUSE I GOT 1.8K AND I LOVE YALL SO FREAKINGGGG MUCHHHHHHH!! 

Anyways, pray Hurricane Matthew doesn't knock my internet so I can survive lol.

Instagram - tay.813

Snapchat - lovinjiley  (my messages are public)

Twitter -