She Picked The Farrier

"Ow! Bloody Hell! Would you watch your fingers! You pinched me you ignoble wretch!" Phoebe said in a sharp tone to the maid dressing her. Her dress was beautiful as was she. Her full skirt a deep red color and a top that hugged her body, showing her thin figure. "Excuse me, my lady." The maid said finishing dressing the fifteen year old Phoebe.  

Phoebe was well-known for being the daughter of a rich politician. She had deep brown hair that fell in curls over her shoulders. She had deep green eyes and was extremely spoiled.  

Phoebe turned a circle in her dress, examining herself. She took a deep breath and smiled. She walked out her large house that was on the outskirts of town to the stables where her horse Star was kept. At the door of the stables she heard her father shouting to her over the large amount of land. "Darling, where are you going?" He said waving to her. Phoebe returned the wave and answered her father. "To the Ferrier, Father. Star is in need of new shoes."  

After the stable boy had retrieved her beautiful white horse she climbed on. "It is cold my lady. Would you like a cloak?" Phoebe nodded and put on the brown cloak, pulling the hood over her head. She grabbed the reins and began her trip into town. She rode through the packed, dirty city till she arrived at a medium sized building. It was Grimsley's Shop. It was the work place of Edwin Grimsley.  

She rode her horse into the stable type building. Two men, Asa and Levi, helped her off the horse while another, Isaac, took the horse to be sized for new horse shoes. Edwin's brothers. In the corner, by the flickering fire were two small girls, Amelia and Melinda, sewing clothing. Edwin's sisters.  

Phoebe pretended to be waiting for her horse, when in reality she was looking for Edwin. She searched from corner to corner but couldn't find the boy. "He's in the back splitting wood Phoebe." Melinda, the youngest said. Phoebe looked at her a little confused. "Who?" She said, hoping Melinda didn't know of her feelings. Melinda didn't say anything, just giggled.  

Phoebe waited a couple minutes then made her way around the back of the building. She heard the thud of an axe hitting the stump of a tree. There, stood Edwin. Phoebe's heart did the forbidden flutter. Edwin was tall, much taller than Phoebe, with blonde hair and piercing blue eyes. He raised his axe and with one smooth motion split another piece of wood. Phoebe stood there, watching the boy she fancied.  

He looked up, panting from the work. At the age of eighteen, Edwin was the eldest of all the Grimsley children. He smiled at the sight of Phoebe and she couldn't help but return the smile. He dropped his axe and walked to Phoebe, grabbing her arm and pushing her against the wall gently, looking around to be sure no one could see. When he was certain they were alone, he leaned over and kissed Phoebe's cold lips, causing her cheeks to go rosy red. He pulled away and the fog produced by their breathes made it hard to see one another.  

"Now, what has the great Ms. Adams doing in town today?" He said with a school boy's smile. She hugged his body and he rubbed her arms. "Darling, it is cold. Go inside and wait for me. I shall be there soon." Phoebe looked up at the boy she loved. She squeezed his rough hands before returning inside. Amelia immediately rose from her stool and offered it to Phoebe. Being in the upper class, Phoebe took the stool without a second thought and waited for Edwin.  

After what seemed like forever, Edwin walked into the stable like building holding several pieces of fire wood. Isaac ran over from the side of Star and grabbed as much of the wood as he could in his little arms. "Isaac, put these on the fire. You shouldn't be that close to the horse yet." Edwin said to his little brother sweetly. Isaac's blonde head barely seemed to show over the pile of wood. He carried them to the fire pit and began to put them on the dying fire.  

Edwin turned his attention to Star. He lifted her leg and ran his finger along her hoof. He looked to his two other brothers and told them the details for the horse shoes and they immediately started working on them. Then, Edwin turned his attention to Phoebe. He stood by her for a minute, then she felt his fingers interlacing with hers. It felt so right and her blush returned. After a minute Phoebe pulled away.