Chapter 19

CHAPTER 19

JORDAN'S POV

"Good morning, Cameron," I go to shake the man's hands. He can barely maintain eye contact. I wonder what that's about?  

"Jordan," he nods.  

"I'm Jade," a tall, slim, and pretty woman comes up to me to shake my hand.

"I don't think we've had the pleasure of meeting before," she drawls out the word "pleasure",  but the way she is still holding my hand, is what unsettles me.   

"No, I don't think we have," I not so subtly take my hand out of her grip.   

"Jordan...this is my fiance, Jade. She can be here to hear what you've come up with. And Jade, this is officer Jordan. He's been assigned to my case," Cameron prattles off. Fiance? Well she sure isn't acting like it. Not your business, Jordan. I nod then turn slightly to address the rest of the family who have gathered around Cameron's bed.  

"You had something to tell us," Mrs. Deverioux inquires anxiously. So I jump right in and tell them everything thus far.  

"Well, as you well know the only lead we've had was a surveillance tape. It took quite a bit of time to decipher anything on that tape, as the car was in a very difficult place. We were able to piece together some information about the car's plates. Turns out those plates were falsified and led us on a wild goose chase for the past month. But ultimately led to a dead end. The only silver lining is that we were able to identify the car as a black 2012 Chrysler 200. That being said, it's a pretty common car and not very likely to narrow down, since the plates don't match up."   I pause and wait for the reactions of each family member.

Cameron closes his eyes as he processes everything I've just said. The mother looks on the verge of tears again. Jade just stares out the window, seemingly unaffected that her fiance's life could still be in danger. The only person to speak is the father.  

"Okay. So what does this mean for my son?" he questions. All business.  

"Well sir, it means that the case has run cold. We weren't able to narrow down any possible suspects. Or identify anyone who would want to harm Cameron. I guess this means, to be careful and maintain security detail. As for the department, we have been instructed to move on to other cases. I'm so sorry, I wanted to be the one to tell in person instead of over the phone," I reply, hoping this won't turn into some drama filled event. It would be completely understandable, but very unproductive. Besides, I'm only following orders.  

"I appreciate that," Cameron says finally looking me in the eye. Whew! So glad they're being reasonable about this.  

"Now as a friend, I will keep an ear out for anything that may help catch the guy who did this. And if you all can think of anything that could really lead to something, let me know. But I can't make any promises," I go to shake his hand.  

"Thanks man," he replies with a firm grip.   

"Mr. Deverioux. Mrs. Deverioux. Jade," I nod a goodbye to all of them as I head out of the room, towards my angel.  

I knock on the door quickly and move to the side out of eyesight. The door opens and I jump in front of her, laughing at the surprised expression. I scoop her up, shut the door with my foot, and run her back into the room. She shrieks as I plop her down on the bed. I'm not sure what it is about her that makes me so playful. But I kind of like it. I lay down next to her and spray kisses all over her face.

"That wasn't very nice," she says after I've stopped. We are both breathing raggedly.

"My kisses aren't nice you say?" I challenge.