Chapter 10

CHAPTER 10

CAMERON'S POV

"So how you feelin' today, Mr. Dever- I mean Cameron?" my nurse, Claire, ask as she enters my room. She rearranges her purple headband on her strawberry bonde hair as she heads to the monitor and checks some things. Physically, she reminds you of Mrs. Santa Clause, just a bit more motherly with a touch of seriousness. She's one of the kindest nurses I've ever met. That's besides Alexia. Speaking of, I wonder if she'll stop in today. Maybe I could ask Claire here to bring her around?

"As spiffy as ever. You?" I reply remembering she asked me a question.

"Now you know I can tell when your lying. If not by your face then by the recent spike in your blood pressure," she says giving me a knowing look. She logs something into her portable laptop.

"So I'll ask another question. How much pain are you actually in? On a scale from 1 to 10. 10 being the absolute worse. And no trying to brave through it," she waves her chubby finger at me.

"8 1/2" I say giving in. I thought I was doing a pretty good job of holding back my grimace. Apparently, not as good as I'd thought.

"You can't keep trying to fight through the pain. How often do I have to tell you that?" Claire scolds, sounding a lot like my mother. She takes her glasses out and a syringe and injects some medicine into my IV.

"This is a little bit of Dilaudid. Should start working in about 5 minutes. You comfortable? Anything else I can get for you before I make some more rounds? Blankets? Pillows?" she says as she jots down some numbers and puts some information in her portable computer.

"Um...yea actually," I start trying for nonchalance, as oppose to coming off as needy or creepy for wanting to see Alexia, "Do you think Nurse Alexia would be available to stop by today?"

"Sure. I don't see why not," she says giving me a sly grin.

"What's that grin supposed to mean?" I ask suspicously, finally feeling a bit of relief. That medicine sure works quickly.

"O’Nothing,” she replies before immediately changing the subject, “Gotta go, hunny. I'll be back in a little bit. But if, and I mean if, you need more medicine you'd better press that button. Understood?" she points to the remote control connected to my bed.

"Yes ma'am." I give her a salute with my least damaged hand. She chuckles and takes her computer out of the room.

I decide to get some reading done. I know it won’t stay this quiet for long. I pull out my tablet and start reading some stories on Wattpad.

“Man, this ap is addicting,” I say silently. I look up to check the time and see that it’s a little after 9, in the morning. I return to one of these great books I found called Side Swiped by dharris0101. The storyline and characters are way too funny. I wish I could meet the author. Whoever comes up with that kind of humor has to be funny? I bet they would provide some very comical conversation.

I also wish, more than anything, that I could get out of this stupid bed and take a shower. This being handicap and needing the help of others is getting old, real quick. It’s only been a day and a half, and I can already see this is going to be a challenge. I also wish it could be this quiet every now and again. Every second of everyday of my life, has always been accounted for. Never a second just think and have some peace. Always meeting after meeting, traveling, running a business, and hosting extravagant parties. Don’t get me wrong I live a fortunate life, but this quiet is something I’m not really accustomed to. Wish I was.

“Those trees must be quite interesting to hold your attention for so long,” speaks the voice I’ve been waiting to hear since this morning.

“Ha-,” my attention drawn away from the window and now on the lovely nurse before me, “How long have I been daydreaming? Better yet, how long have you been standing there staring at me in all my bruised and casted glory?”