Chapter 20

Chapter 20

"Where did you get this?" River demanded in a hushed whisper. Her hand that was holding the note was shaking. 

Scotty inhaled a deep breath as if he was debating if he should answer. Finally he whispered back, "My brother."

His answer surprised River. She wondered how Scotty's brother tied in to everything that was going on. "Who gave him the note?"

Scotty spun a thick gold band around and around on his finger. There was some design on the ring, but River couldn't make it out. "He wouldn't tell me who, all he would say was that he got it from someone he trusted who was involved with the Resistance." Scotty's head cocked to the side as he waited for her to tell him what the note said and who it was from. When she didn't volunteer any information, he came right out and asked her. 

"It's from my father," River admitted dropping her voice down even lower as she whispered directly into Scotty's ear. 

Scotty's eyes grew wide as he leaned back to look at River. Her eyes were just as wide as his. Before he could ask anything else though, she pointed at her watch and whispered that they would have to talk later. She suggested that they meet up after classes and get Hailey and Dayden and all go for a walk together so they could discuss what was written in the note. It looked like Scotty wanted to say more, but even he could tell that they were pushing the time factor. He grabbed hold of River's hand just as she was about to turn the communication system on. "Could we talk alone first before bringing Hailey and Dayden in on this?" He asked, searching River's face.

River knew that Scotty had wanted to talk to her privately ever since he and Dayden had found her beaten and tied to a chair, but Dayden had insisted on staying by River's side whenever Scotty came around. River had thought about Scotty's confession a lot since the last time they had been in the lab together. It seemed like so long ago. So much had happened since then. Did he still feel the same way or was he going to tell her that he now had feelings for Hailey? If so, would that be such a bad thing? River was beginning to think that Hailey and Scotty might not be such a bad thing after all, might even be a good thing.

While she had been recovering, she and Dayden had grown a lot closer. She didn't want to admit it, but she knew now that she had strong feelings for Dayden. If she was being totally truthful with herself she had always been attracted to Dayden. Even that first day when he ran into her and spilled her soup all over her, she had felt something connect between the two of them. That same connection had only grown stronger since they started living together. She had thought that maybe as she spent more time with him and got to know him better that she would discover all of his faults and bad habits, but really the opposite had happened. As she got to know him better she found more and more reasons why she really liked him.

"I don't think there will be time Scotty," she told him quickly. She wanted to avoid hurting Scotty if at all possible. He was a good friend and she wanted to keep it that way. She could see that he was discouraged by her words, but still he nodded his head in agreement. River indicated that she was going to turn on the communications system and Scotty let go of her hand so she could flip the switch. 

Somehow River managed to get through the morning training sessions. Sergeant Cook had caught her zoning out a few times and kept giving her puzzled looks. Still they managed to get four of the eight Fly Boys in for training before lunch time. She had to work through lunch to help Sergeant Cook input test scores and print out reports and get caught up on her missing week and a half of work.

Just before the end of lunch Sergeant Cook requested for River to follow him. She immediately was on edge and wondered what was up. She followed him into the second Arcane Simulator. He didn't waste any time. He handed her a key similar to the one she and Dayden used for the front door of their apartment. She gave him a puzzled look.