Chapter 7

Picture of River in her dress on Right.

Chapter 7 

River tossed and turned all night long. How could she possibly sleep after a kiss like that? Actually, after two kisses like that. What did it mean? She had been so sure of her feelings. Now she was so confused. She had told him flat out what her decision was, but then he went and kissed her... again for the second time, only the second time she didn't slap him. Why didn't she slap him... because, he was such a darn good kisser. Stupid Sasquatch. Man, could he kiss. He actually made her toes tingle. But, then he just left and she had no clue what he was going to do now. Maybe he was right... maybe it would be good to be at Special Ops, so she could look into what happened to her dad. What was she saying? She couldn't be someone's mate. Kissing was just the beginning. Guys always wanted more, especially guys that looked like Dayden. 

Round and round her thoughts spun, causing her nothing but grief. She really had no clue what Dayden was going to do now. Giving up on sleep, she rolled out of bed all sweaty and disgruntled. She took a long hot shower, hoping it would calm her nerves, but it didn't. She dressed herself on autopilot and afterwards she had no recollection of having done so.

She grabbed her knapsack and made her way to class arriving just in time for first bell. Practically no one had shown up for class. When she looked around to ask what was going on, she noticed 'Holy Hannah' - that's what everyone called her, because she was always reading her bible. Hannah was staring at River's feet. When River followed Hannah's gaze downwards to see what was so captivating, she realized she had put her least favorite pair of jeans on that morning, the ones that were way too short. Then to make matters worse, she had worn brightly colored mismatched socks. She looked like a clown. She would have to forget about using autopilot in the mornings. The only good thing was that so few people were there to witness her fashion faux pas. Trying to shift Hannah's focus away from her quirky-colored feet, she asked her why so many students were missing. Hannah answered, that it was because everyone was getting ready for the ceremony. Only she said it like she wanted to punctuate it with a big 'Dhh!' on the end. 

River didn't really care what nerdy, holier-than-thou Hannah thought about her lack of knowledge when it came to the Fly Boys and all their stupid ceremonies. She just wanted answers. Suddenly she wondered if she had missed something. What was there to get ready? Hannah, seeing River's puzzled look, suggested that the guys were probably just skipping because they could, without getting in trouble and the girls were probably beginning their ten hours of prep work to turn themselves into trashier versions of Disney princesses. 

River and Hannah, along with a handful of other losers, managed to sit through the longest morning of classes ever. The teachers were not impressed that they had to stick it out for a small group of geeky brown-nosers, so they turned each class into a study session, which only served to drag the time out even longer. Each minute felt like an hour. By Lunchtime River was ready to throw in the towel. She grabbed take-out from the cafe, praying that she would not run into Dayden or his girlfriend Hailey. 

Arg.. Just the thought of his girlfriend Hailey swamped River with guilt. What did it say about Dayden that he was kissing River, when he already had a girlfriend? It said he was a typical male douchebag and she shouldn't trust him even for a second. Man, could he kiss though. He had the softest lips ever... Arg...

River grabbed the first wrapped sandwich she could find, added a juice and an apple and hightailed it to the cash register to pay. She threw it all in her knapsack and practically ran the entire way back to her dorm room. Once she was safely ensconced inside her room with the door securely locked, she unwrapped her unrecognizable meat sandwich with every intention of polishing it off quickly. She only managed to get one bite down though and found she just wasn't hungry. She was too nervous.