Chapter 9

Chapter 9 

The Fly Boys and their mates had one week to get all of their schoolwork handed in, visit their families and pack up their belongings. Other than quick glimpses here and there, River rarely saw any of them as they carried out their final preparations. River was getting her first taste of what school would be like once they were gone and though it was much quieter and there was less drama, she had to admit there was a whole in her heart that was growing bigger with each passing day. 

She tried to fill her time with schoolwork and the tedious task of completing college applications. Because of the X Virus, half the colleges had closed down and it was much tougher to get accepted and even tougher still to qualify for one of the few academic scholarships that were in such high demand. River couldn't stand the thought of going off somewhere to school when her father was still missing. She kept putting off filling out the applications, in hopes that she would hear some news about him. Time was running out though. There were deadlines that had to be met. If she didn't get into college, the best she could hope for would be a low-level position in the military. 

The week flew by much faster than River thought it would. She kept expecting to run into Dayden, but it seemed this time he was the one avoiding her. The only one who did not avoid her was Scotty. He went out of his way to talk to River and be nice to her. On Thursday morning Scotty heard that River's class, which was scheduled for the period right after lunch had been cancelled. He suggested that they go out for lunch. At first River was worried and suggested that he invite Sandra along too, but Scotty assured her that Sandra was at home saying goodbye to her family. 

Scotty and River went to the same restaurant in Curtis, happy that this time they would not have to rush back. They talked about everything: their childhoods growing up, their favorite books and movies, Scotty's family, and River's future plans. It was amazing how much they had in common and how similar their tastes were. When they had exhausted every other topic, their conversation eventually turned to The Fly Boys.

Scotty told River about the big Send Off Party that was being held the next night. It was an unchaperoned party that was held just for the seniors. Scotty explained that it was the one party that the teachers and chaperones pretty much stayed clear of, as long as it didn't get too out of hand. He said that because of the lack of supervision, each year the seniors smuggled in beer and alcohol. He also said that the party would start earlier than normal, because all the Fly Boys and their mates would have to leave by midnight in order to board the private plane that will take them to Special Ops.

They were just packing up their garbage when a group of uniformed ground soldiers came into the restaurant. They were shoving and joking with each other when one of them accidentally bumped into River as she was emptying her tray into the garbage can. As he spun around to apoligize, he got a closer look at her and his apology died on his lips. "Wow, what have we got here guys?" His gaze travelled up and down River's body. 

Scotty hadn't noticed the interaction and was still slurping up the last of his milkshake at their table. 

"Hey doll, you are gorgeous," a tall thin guy said grabbing on to her arm to steady her. "Hey Gunner, don't you think she is a babe?" he elbowed the soldier next to him.

River tried to break free from his grasp, but he held firm. Gunner turned out to be a shorter big-shouldered soldier who had a huge sloppy grin on his face. He let out a wolf whistle as he agreed with his pal that River was definitely a babe.

The whisle caught Scotty's attention and he left his tray on the table to make his way over to River. River tugged her arm again, this time with all her might and was able finally to break free from the tall soldier's grasp. Scotty stepped in front of her just as she was able to pull away. "Hey guys, how's it going?" Scotty said with a friendly smile.