Chapter 7

Courtney woke early the next morning. The sun was barely coming over the horizon. Oh no she'd fallen asleep. She jumped up reaching for her cell phone and began to cry. Travis hadn't called. Running out to the front porch her car was nowhere in sight either. She ran back in and dialed Kaitlin, Haley, and Carter. Kaitlin told her he probably just couldn't get back in the gates because they were surrounded by those psychos. Haley hadn't said much and Carter hadn't answered. She called Billy at his post. "Nobody could get through those gates, were surrounded. Just lay low" he said. Courtney rubbed her hands up and down her face. Getting up she went to go check on her mother. She was still sleeping. Turning on the television downstairs the broadcast was saying the same thing that Tina had heard last night. It showed a reporter in a helicopter shooting footage. Some buildings were on fire. Vehicles were strewn everywhere. The zombies were in the hundreds.
Tina had waken and came down the stairs seeing her daughter crying on the couch. She sat down next to her. "T..travis hasn't called and h.h.he's not answering his cell" Courtney sobbed. "I'm sure he's fine baby" Tina said rubbing her daughters hair. They turned and watched more of the chaos on tv.

Carter had slept fitfully. Nightmares kept waking him up. His mother never woke up. She had a seizure in the middle of the night and passed away. Carter knew what would happen next. He took his supplies to his own room and closed the door to his parents bedroom. Zombies had ripped the door off its hinges and made there way into the house sometime last night. He could hear them shuffling around downstairs knocking things over. The smell of death clung in the air upsetting his stomach. He pondered just taking his pistol and ending his life. But that would mean the zombies win. No way in hell were they gonna beat him without a fight. Carter didn't think of these things as people anymore. They didn't feel or have thoughts and evidently memory since his parents didn't know who he was. They would have eat him and moved on to the next without remorse. He thought of them now as soulless monsters.
Last time he looked at his watch it was four-thirty and his body gave in to sleep.
It was now around six thirty in the morning. The sun barely over the horizon. Carter was lost in thought sitting in his room. He wondered why so many of those things came here. Why didn't he come home yesterday instead of going to school then maybe his parents wouldn't have died. He could hear what used to be his mother in the next room shuffling around. He knew she wouldn't want the curse of walking around as a monster. For now he wouldn't draw attention to himself and maybe the others would give up and leave. Then he could give his mother peace and lay her to rest. It sounded like there weren't as many as there were last night.

Davis awoke with a start, confused at where he was. He didn't remember falling asleep. He hadn't realized he pulled his pistol until he looked down at it in his hand. He was still sitting behind the counter at the store. He raised up to peek over the counter. Early dawn light was seeping through the windows. He didn't see anyone moving outside. He rose up and stretched aching muscles from sleeping on the floor. Going through the store he found shopping bags and filled them with supplies. He didn't forget to turn on the gas pumps before unlocking the door and walking cautiously back to the cruiser. He filled the tank and backed the car up to the door. Going back in he got more supplies putting them in the back seat. Finding two gas cans he filled them and put them in the trunk.
There may be other people come through so he put the key back, turned off the pumps and got in his car. "Is anyone out there" he spoke into the cb. "This is Sheriff Shane Davis of Jacksonville, Georgia in Madison County. If you can hear me please respond." A cracking came back over the cb.
"Hello hello can you hear me please god can you hear me" a voice whispered.
"Yes I can hear you. I'm Sheriff Davis. Who is this?"
"My names Mattie Fischer. I'm hiding in St. Matthews Church. On the south side of town. I'm scared. It's just me and my brother Anthony.
"You said St. Matthews? Stay put Ill radio you again when I get close."
"Thank you"
He had nowhere to go so why not find survivors and reclaim the land for the human race. "We haven't lost the battle" Davis said to himself "it's just began."

Travis woke to the sun peaking through the trees. On his hand was dried up brain matter and gore from last nights zombie. He didn't know how he had managed to have slept on the roof. Raising up he looked over the edge. Down below the dead were only a few lingering. He had no idea where his parents might be. If they were even alive.
Sneaking down the side of the roof he tried to be as quiet as possible without drawing attention to himself, but it seemed to only make him clumsier. His foot caught on the edge of the roof kicking a piece of vinyl siding loose and it slapped against the house with a thud. He stopped looking down at the few below him. Luckily they hadn't paid any mind to the noise. He slid over to the window of his room peeking in, nothing.
Quietly he slid through the window. His bedroom door was still shut. 'Thank you god for little miracles' he thought. Tiptoeing to his closet he got his backpack out filling it with clothes. His football gear was in the corner. He put it on immediately for protection. Slinging his backpack on and getting his ball bat from under the bed he crept through the house. There was always lots of food in the kitchen. He filled his bag and two more. Peeking out the front door there was a zombie lurking at the end of the porch. Travis took a deep breath ready to run for the car. Peeking out again he noticed the zombie was sniffing the air. It turned toward him and growled. 'Now or never' he thought. In a sprint he ran jumping off the porch. This zombie wasn't like the others, it was fast. It was on his heels as he ran to the car. Tackling Travis when he reached the car. Both falling to the ground they rolled. Travis jumped up looking for his bat. It lay behind the zombie who was getting to his feet. Travis headed straight for it doing a football tackle knocking the zombie back to the ground. Travis picked up his bat swinging hard to the zombies head. Cracking its skull ending its reign of terror. The other zombies had seen the commotion and were closing in. Travis hit the closest one with the end of the bat in the chest. It staggered back and Travis jumped in the car. The last few zombies banged on the car. He had lost two supply bags when the zombie attacked. Oh well. Starting the ignition he drove off leaving the zombies trailing behind.

Tyrone had found the hatch to the roof. He dragged his supplies, two cot mattresses and blankets up there. Not having any problems sleeping he woke well rested. The sun was high in the air. Today he needed to figure out what he was going to do and where to go. But first, breakfast.
Down in the cafeteria he found a can of beans, bread and a soda. After breakfast he turned on the broadcast from yesterday. Across the bottom was a number to call if you had any information. Immediately thinking of Ralph he dialed the number. "Hello caller your on the air" the voice said.
"I have a useful tip" Tyrone said.
"Go ahead caller"
"Them flesh eaters don't like fire." Tyrone said.
"Thank you caller"
Tyrone hang up the phone and walked down to Ralph's cell "what else can I learn about you?" he asked staring in.