Chapter 1

BEEP BEEP BEEP I rolled over sluggishly to hit the snooze button. It was seven o'clock. Oh another day, I think, kicking the covers off me. I get my clothes for school and head toward the bathroom to shower. I can hear mom downstairs in the kitchen singing softly to the music on the radio. I smile to myself and go get ready for school.
"One more week till graduation," mom says as I sit down at the table with my cereal. I nod my head. "You know Courtney they said on the tv that Georgia Incs. made progress and so far has helped thousands of people. Some of the people are over 100," mom is saying enthusiastically. "Yeah great mom," I say uninterested. She is still talking but I have other things on my mind and don't really listen."I gotta go before I'm late" I jump up, kiss my mother goodbye, grab my things and go to my car.
Courtney and her mother live in the nice guarded community of Cherry Hill Subdivision. Cherry Hill had lots of large homes side by side on small streets. With a security guard, Billy at the eight foot steel gates who protected it. Courtney's father Nathan McDaniels was a well known and well liked surgeon in these parts before his fatal accident a few years ago. He had spoiled his wife and daughter, leaving them well off when he died. He also went out of the way to help the people in his town whether they had the money for a much needed surgery or not.
Courtney picked up her best friends Haley Davidson and Kaitlin Mathews.
Courtney had long black hair, bright sky blue eyes, six foot tall, with a beach tan and lean like her two friends. Haley had light golden hair, beautiful green eyes, and around five foot six. Kaitlin was the shy one of the three. She had long dark brown hair with caramel colored highlites, chocolate eyes, and was five foot four. They had all grown up together at Cherry Hill, just a few houses apart from each other. Stopping behind the gate they waved at Billy as he opened the gates for them to leave.

Meanwhile the coroner, Ricky Meadows, had arrived at the hospital. Katherine Baker had went early this morning to his funeral home and made the necessary arrangements for her grandfathers funeral. Ricky got his papers signed then headed down to the morgue with his gurney. Number eight is where the body was to be. Finding it he opened the door and slid out the frozen body of Ralph Baker. Putting him in a body bag he wheeled him out to the waiting hurst. After loading him up Ricky climbed into the drivers seat headed back to Meadows Funeral Home.
A few miles down the road Ricky hears a rustling coming from the back. Adjusting his rear view mirror he took a look. The body bag that contained Ralph's body was sitting up on the gurney and lightly moaning. Gasping, Ricky slammed on the breaks sliding the hurst to the side of the road and jumped out. "Oh my god," Ricky said sweat trickling on his forehead. Shaking from the fright he just had, he walks around opening the back door, "s..s..sir?" The moans grew louder now. "Your alive!" Ricky yelled. He jumped in the back of the hurst next to the body bag pushing the body to lay down. "Lay down sir take it easy. Don't worry I will call an ambulance to come get you ok?" Ricky said. His heart was beating out of his chest. Shakily he unzipped the bag so the man could breath better. Ralph quickly reached for Ricky's head pulling him down to take a bite out of his neck.

Courtney, Haley, and Kaitlin were at school eating breakfast, talking about boys and graduation. The girls had all been accepted to the same college. They wanted it that way. The trio were more like sisters then friends.
"Hey babe," Travis Brooks said as he sit down and kissed Courtney on the cheek. Travis was a popular boy at school. He played on the winning football team of Elliot High School. All the guys were friends with him and all the girls wanted to be with him. Travis had boyish good an athletic build, sandy blonde hair, mesmerizing blue eyes and a gorgeous smile. Courtney had been dating Travis for a year.
"We're still on for the dance right?" Courtney asked. "Of course I done bought the tickets" Travis says with a smile. The bell rings for them to go to there first class. Travis wraps his arm around Courtney and they walk together down the hall to homeroom along with Haley and Kaitlin.

Ricky struggled to get Ralph off him, put his hand to his neck and jumped out falling to the pavement. Ralph moaned loud and was working his way out of the body bag. Ricky got to his feet as Ralph turns to look at him. Fear and adrenaline get Ricky to start running. He tries to flag a passing motorist to stop. Sneaking a peek behind him Ralph is out of the hurst and swaying side to side toward him like a drunk man. Bloods running down his mouth, chin and down his chest.
Horrified and desperate for help Ricky steps out into the middle of the street. Waving one arm and putting pressure on his neck with the other. Vehicles honk and go around him. All the while Ralph is getting closer to his prize. "PLEASE STOP! HELP ME" screams Ricky.
Carter Murphy is on his way to school when he Ricky is stumbling in the middle of the street, stepping in front of his jeep. Putting on his emergency flashers he slows down. The man jumps in before Carter has come to a complete stop. Ralph reaches the car as he's locking his door. Beating on the passenger side window with his mouth wide open and moaning. Carter's staring at Ralph in shock. His skin has a grey/green/purple splotchy look to it. His eyes are glazed over and never blinking as if in a never ending trance.
"Go go go!" screams Ricky breaking him out of his stare. Carter hits the gas leaving Ralph behind stumbling after the jeep. "What the hell?" Carter yells, his eyes wide with shock from what he just saw. "Thank you so much for stopping." Ricky says breathless and looking back through the rear window. "What happened," Carter asks seeing the blood gushing down under the mans hand and staining the side of his shirt. "I need a hospital," says Ricky "Do u have a phone?" He turned to Carter. Carter hands him his cell phone and listens as Ricky tells the 911 operator what's happened. Carter finds a place to turn around. They drive back the way they came in silence. Ralph is now stumbling up the side of the road. As they pass him Ricky gives him the finger.
At the hospital Ricky gives the phone back and rushes through the doors to the emergency room. 'What the fuck' Carter thinks to himself. Looking at his watch its now eight o'clock. Great he was gonna be late for school.