14: closure

so I'm curious: does anyone talk to their friends or other people about this story? if so, I think that's so cool omg

// Home II — Dotan

"You don't have to apologize for the things you didn't become."

Seattle, Washington
November 5th, 2015
10:15 AM

Jess

I was leaving my apartment for the first time in a week.

I'd been avoiding the media—and people for that matter. But today, I was going to take a leap of faith and hit the nail on its head.

Today, I'd be visiting my childhood home. Being my own therapist, I decided that it was the next step towards closure.

I was nervous for many reasons. I hadn't been back to that house in a year and a half. There was no real reason why. It had been cleaned out of mine and my parents' belongings, leaving behind only mattress frames and couches.

Now, I felt that I should go back to the place I grew up in. The optimistic part of me thought it would comfort me, and that was the ultimate hope.

I also had to do this whilst fending off fans and paparazzi. It wasn't that I didn't want to see the fans (because I missed them terribly), it was more of my need for privacy.

Speaking of privacy—these last few days I've finally been able to be alone in my apartment. Before, either Julia, Jane, or Harry had to stay with me at all times. Now, if one of them were to go out, I didn't have to have a babysitter.

Of course, this happened after some assurance and begging on my part, but at least I got it to happen. I wasn't a child, and I didn't have to rely on others for stability.

"You ready, hon?" Jane asked, walking through the front door.

"Yup." I stirred around my iced coffee and got up from the kitchen table.

"Where's Harry?"

I nodded towards my room. "Bathroom. Julia had to go back to school."

Jane's eyebrows raised. "That's a long drive."

"Yeah, she left around 8."

Both our heads turned when Harry strutted out of my bedroom with his hair up in a bun and sunglasses on top of his head.

"Hey, Jane," he greeted, scratching the back of his head.

He looked a little nervous and so did Jane. They were both on edge about today.

"Ready?" Jane asked.

I pulled on my baseball cap and sunglasses. "Yeah, let's do this."

I followed Jane out the door and immediately noticed the two security guards just outside. I also quickly realized that neither of them were Sal, Robbie, or Landon.

"Where's—"

Jane cut me off and shook her head. "Jess."

I narrowed my eyes in confusion. "What?"

We were almost at the elevator when it dawned at me. For the past week or so I haven't been included in management meetings or any decisions—period. But it did not make sense to me that I wasn't included in the decision to lay off three of my security guards that I've had since the beginning of my career.