Chapter Twenty-Six

When I woke up, I felt happy. For the first time in a very long time, I was happy. Though it ended quickly when I felt around in the bed for Keegan, only he wasn’t there. My eyes snapped opened as I sat up and turned on the lamp by my bedside. I covered my naked body with the bed sheets and saw that there was a rose and a note where Keegan should have been. 

I picked up the note first, curious to what was written on the crisp sheet of paper. The note said,

    Fay, I’m so sorry that I can’t be there when you wake up. I had to leave earlier than planned and I’m sorry. I left something and I hope you like it. I love you and I miss you already…                                               

                                                     Keegan.

I looked at the rose again and noticed something was around it. It sparkled under the light of the lamp. I picked it up and observed it closely. It was a ring. A medium size diamond in the middle, and three smaller ones on each side of it. It was beautiful. I placed it on my finger and it was a perfect fit.

I picked up the note again and sniffed it. I could tell it was just a few minutes old. My heart started racing, I needed to see him before he left. I jumped out of bed and threw my clothes on from last night. I then opened the door and took off down the hallway, following his still fresh scent.

I found the staircase that led to the outside world, and took two at a time. My heart raced as I got closer and closer to the top. I unlatched the door and slung it open. The cool air clashed onto my face and hair as I climbed out. There were a dozen people out there packing up to leave, but only one I was looking for. It was hard to pick up his scent, considering it must have rained last night, and everyone’s scent except his was meeting my nose.

I looked around and I couldn’t find him. I was just ready to give up, when I heard my name. “Fay?” I turned around and Keegan was standing there. He wore a simple t-shirt and pair of pants. My heart soared as I ran over to him and literally through myself at him. He caught me easily and kept me close.

“I love you, too.” I whispered in his ear, and I bet a lot of money that he had a huge grin spread across his face. I could feel it. He released me and I took a step back.

“I have to go.” I nodded sadly.

“Okay, go kick butt and hurry back.” I said with a smile. He bent forward and kissed my lips lightly. “I’ll miss you.” I whispered.

“It’ll be over before you know it.” He replied. After a few moments, Keegan helped me back inside and I walked back down the stairs slowly this time.

The days went by slowly. At first I checked off a calendar, and then after weeks, I forgot about it. It just made me feel sad and it felt as if the time went slower. I spent most of my time walking the hallways, and looking at the pictures in my camera.

It was hard sleeping without Keegan by my side. When I wasn’t lying there thinking of him, I was having nightmares. Horrible ones that in the middle of the night I would wake up crying and screaming.

After about a month and a half, I became restless. I hardly slept and I sat waiting for good news that we won the war. I waited for the day that Keegan would be back and in my arms. I waited for that day to come and I kept it close to me, not wanting to let it leave my grasp. I needed to be strong for Keegan.