Epilogue

Kayla drummed her fingers against the handle of her umbrella as she stood outside the cafe. The rain was falling steadily in the winter of August and she smiled to herself despite the nerves growing inside of her.

Her watch beeped loudly, indicating the twelfth hour of the day and she clutched the umbrella tighter, wondering if she was doing the right thing. Her long auburn hair blew restlessly in the wind as if confirming the thoughts running through her head. She self-consciously smoothed down her black dress - her nicest one that had cost half her savings of just fewer than three months. Her thin coat did nothing against the wind and she soon grew cold enough to go inside. But instead she waited patiently because maybe she was doing the right thing. And maybe the thoughts running through her mind weren't going to be the death of her.

Her blue eyes blinked as a drop of rain caught on her lashes. She'd long since stopped wearing tinted glasses. She'd stopped believing that what others thought of her was any importance. Leaving her eyes uncovered only reinforced that belief. It felt freeing. Her thoughts were interrupted by a loud splash of water from in front of her and a car door opening. Her pulse quickened as footsteps slowly approached her.

The man stepped carefully past the puddles on the pavement and looked straight ahead to a pair of clear blue eyes staring back at him. His breath hitched in his throat before he stiffened and turned back to the chauffeur. Thanking him, he instructed him to park his car a road away. The man obeyed and pulled away in the slim silver vehicle, leaving a spray of water in its wake.

The man turned back to the woman standing under her umbrella and his gaze softened. He adjusted the tie in his suit then stepped forward cautiously. "Kayla." His voice did not waver, nor did his expression as he greeted the person he hadn't spoken to in years.

"Matthew," she breathed and looked as if she might throw up from fear.

"Uh, shall we go inside?"

He reached for her arm but hesitated and instead waited for her to follow. She did. Inside, De Ja Vû was warm and inviting. The two sat down near the fireplace, coincidentally the same table they'd eaten at on their first date. A young waitress came to where they were seated and greeted them cheerfully.

"I'll get an espresso," Matthew stated, flashing a smile at the waitress and causing her to blush, which he failed to notice. "Kayla?" He returned his gaze to the woman across from him. He saw that she was no longer underweight, and her cheeks had a healthy flush.

"Can I have an ice tea, please? Thank you," she gave the waitress a small smile.

They were shortly left alone and neither of the pair knew what to say. Each still remembered their goodbye five years earlier but for Matthew the raw emotion still remained. He would never reveal this, though. He'd spent time recreating himself, thinking that if no one knew what was inside, he would somehow forget.

"How have you been?" came Kayla's gentle voice. She seemed so untroubled to him, so happy.

"Uh, good. Yeah. I started my own business," he answered and swallowed quickly after.

"So I heard," she said.

"So what do you do now?" he attempted to continue the conversation.

"I'm studying music," she smiled to herself. "Chloe and I rent a flat together. Things are good."

He nodded. Matthew didn't have anything to say. A few minutes of silence passed then their drinks arrived. Kayla sipped hers slowly, starting to wonder why she'd agreed to come here today.

"How is your sister?" she asked, placing her drink down.

"She's in her first year of university - chemistry. She, uh, she's now clean. Rehab did her good."

Kayla nodded. "I haven't spoken to her in ages."

Matthew silently drank his coffee, watching as she tied her hair back from her face. The cafe's constant noise continued around them.

Kayla sighed. "Look, Matthew -"

"I know what you're going to say but please don't say it," he interrupted, leaning forward in his seat.

"No," she said, "you don't." She took a deep breath and clasped her hands in front of her. "I came here today so that I could tell you that I forgive you."

He looked up in surprise.

"I also came because I want to thank you."

"For what?"

"For saving my life. I know I was mad at you at the time and nothing made sense to my eighteen year old self, but I really am grateful that you gave me the chance to start over. I am truly happy now, Matthew. So thank you."

Matthew nodded slowly, processing the words he'd been needing for so long. "I'm glad I could help," he stated, not knowing how to respond.

She smiled and opened her bag, placing a note on the table next to her empty glass. "If you don't mind, I have somewhere to be and Chloe will kill me if I'm late." She stood up and faced him. "I never forgot you, Matthew. But I've moved on and I hope you have too."

He stood as well, shoving his hands into his pockets. "Well, enjoy the rest of your day."

"Thank you, I will," she picked up her bag and umbrella. She was still smiling - this was the closure she had needed. "Have a good life, Matthew."

"I will," he replied and watched her figure recede through the cafe doors and out into the street. The rain had stopped and the faint image of a rainbow had formed over the sea's horizon. Matthew stood there for a minute, his eyes fixed on the waves of the ocean and the way the sun reflected off the water, glistening, hinting of something better.

Then he sat back down and finished his coffee. His phone vibrated in his pocket and thinking it was work, he pulled it out. A message from his receptionist, Diane, showed up on the screen. Drinks tonight? On me. His thumbs moved to reply but instead of declining like he had countless times before, this time he sent something different and it felt okay.

Sure. I'll lock up early.