Three

It was dark. I heard voices around me but I couldn't make out the words. It was almost like having blurred hearing. I knew there were people around me but I felt alone, isolated. I opened my eyes. Still dark. I lifted a hand to feel my head and was surprised at the weight of my arm. Trying to raise my head, dizziness came over me. I dropped back down at the searing that went through my neck and ears. I felt a hand on my shoulder and heard a muffled voice. Then it was gone.

I lay still, afraid that any movement would cause pain. Then slowly, things became clearer. I recognised the sound of footsteps, distant music. Or was the music in my head? But soon the tune lulled me to sleep and exhaustion took over.

Beep. Beep.

I was in a bed - a scratchy bed. I had no idea where I was and the constant beeping next to me brought back the painful headache from before. What had happened before? I couldn't remember. I heard a voice, this time with words. I opened my eyes to pitch black darkness.

"Kayla, you're awake." I knew that voice.

"Mom?" I managed.

Beep. Beep.

"Yes."

"Where am I? What happened? Why does my head hurt?"

"Your head hurts?"

"Yeah, it has been since I woke up here. Why is everything dark?"

"Hang on; I'm calling the nurse..."

And I was alone again. I strained my ears for something, anything. But no one and nothing came. I was beginning to grow frustrated, which only increased the throbbing in my head. I felt around me. I was in what felt like a bed, with a thin scratchy blanket. Beside me the beeping continued endlessly. I reached for the back of my head and found a bandage wrapped tightly around my scalp. I searched my mind for an answer. How could this have possibly happened? Did someone put me here? Have I always been here? I brought my hand back to my side as I heard faint footsteps approaching.

"She seems very disorientated," I heard my mom say quietly.

"Well, yes, that's quite common in concussions. It'll take a few days for her mind to clear up." The other voice sounded firmer.

I shifted in the bed and sat up slowly. "What's going on?" Someone came nearer.

"Ah, Kayla, I'm your nurse. My name's Claire. You said your head hurts?"

"Yeah."

"I'm just going to change your bandage and give you some medicine, alright?" I nodded, but stopped when it caused pain. Claire gently lifted my head and unwound the bandage. "That's looking good." She rolled me onto my side and I felt a cool material on my head. "It should help the swelling." The medicine did its job; I was told it came from a tube in my arm. But still I saw nothing. Claire sensed my discomfort.

"Something wrong?" She was on my left, probably sitting.

"Everything's dark."

"Can you see me?" I turned to my left. "I'm on your right. Guess you can't. Don't worry; it should all come back soon."

"And if it doesn't?"

"Why don't you get some rest? You've had a tough week."

What felt like a lifetime passed. I slept just about most of the time, accompanied by the beeping next to me that I was told had been removed. Claire came and went, so did my mom as well as my dad. One morning, I sat in bed, eating hospital breakfast with my dad next to me.