Chapter 7

I couldn’t wipe the smile off my face as I left the small bathroom and back into the party life. Nathaniel was now sitting down on a lounge with a beer in one hand and . . . No, it couldn’t be. He wouldn’t do something like this. My heart plummeted and my stomach sunk. It felt like I’d swallowed a golf ball.

He had already found another girl.

Tears had now welled up in the corners of my eyes as I walked outside the house and on the front lawn. I managed to find a spot that not many people would find me, so less attention was attracted to me.

Why did I think he would be somewhat different? I’m a naïve girl . . . So hopeless at falling in love with the right person. Hearing a soft rustle of fallen leaves behind me, I quickly wiped my eyes before peering behind me.

“Who that?” I asked, not daring to turn around to see who it was.

A familiar hand touched my shoulder. “Cassie?” Lucy spoke, looking genuinely concerned. “What’s wrong?

“He’s got another girl,” I cried, tears freely flowing down my cheeks. “I left for ten minutes and he’s already got another girl to play with.”

“That dick!” she cursed.

Sniffing I looked up at her. “Lucy, I just want to go home. I don’t want to walk inside and see him with someone else.”

“I’ll go get Jason,” she smiled.

Standing up she left to find her brother. I continued sitting down, pretending to look drunk when someone walked past. I was too upset to think straight. What I wanted to do was walk right in there and yell and scream at him, making him realize how much he hurt me . . . But then I’d just look like a drunken fool.

A few moments later, Lucy was back with Jason. He looked at me in surprise, but didn’t question or say anything. I figured that Lucy had already filled him in with the details.

The car trip home was silent. I kept thinking that it would be the best night of my life. I didn’t care if I was overreacting on this, he had led me to believe he wanted something and he just wanted the attention . . . Nothing more or nothing less.

I could feel Jason staring at me through the revision mirror. “Do you think he had a little too much to drink?” he asked, trying to give me the reassurance.

“Jason, alcohol doesn’t affect us,” Lucy replied brutally. “He just wanted some fun; he didn’t care about her feelings. It didn’t once cross his mind.”

For the first time tonight I spoke up. “Guys please, not with me around.”

Both mumbling their apologies it was back to silence for the rest of the way home. I kept my gaze outside the window, staring at the passing trees and houses. All I wanted at the moment was a hug from my mum.

“Stop the car,” I cried out.

Slamming on the breaks, Jason turned to look at me in concern. “What’s wrong? Are you okay?”

“I’m – I’m fine,” I stammered. “I just need to go home; my actual home.”

“You can’t!” Lucy argued her face in bewildered astonishment.

Jason didn’t hesitate to turn the car around and follow my directions home. Lucy wasn’t happy about it, pouting the whole way. She ignored me as I got out of the car at the bottom of my driveway.

Sighing, I kept my gaze on the pebbled driveway. Mumbling my thankyou’s I turned and looked up at the house that I used to call home. Suddenly, the front porch lights flickered on. There, at the door was my mum.