Chapter5

Waking up, I found Nathaniel at the end of the bed. Giving him a weak smile I tried to sit upright so I could look at him. His eyes never left me, like the way a lion’s eye never leaves their prey. It made me feel a little edgy and uneasy, but I didn’t let it get to me.

“Cassie,” he spoke softly. “Is everything okay?”

I looked over at him in confusion. “Of course everything’s okay. Why?”

“No reason, I just wanted to make sure you were doing fine . . . Is that alright?” he smiled.

Nodding slowly, I looked at him puzzled. “It’s alright. I just thought something had happened.”

Those words echoed through my mind. What had happened? All I remember was having a really bizarre dream of Jason . . . Lucy. Completely losing control of my surroundings, I stood up and walked towards the door.

I felt Nathaniel touch my arm softly. “What’s wrong?”

“Lucy,” I murmured as I opened the door, finding Jason blocking the doorway.

My whole body froze. I remembered what had happened and I was now scared. Scared of what he was and what he could do.

“Can you please move,” I whispered shakily.

Giving me a peculiar look, he stepped aside. “Are you okay, Cassie?” he asked.

Ignoring him, I walked out of the room and headed to my destination . . . The staircase.

“It was just a dream,” I mumbled to myself repeatedly as I took the first step up the stairs.

Freezing I managed to catch the last part of Jason and Nathaniel talking.

“She caught you last night, Jason,” Nathaniel whispered. “You should’ve been more careful.”

“How could she have caught me? I was quiet, the feeding was quiet . . . Even the girl didn’t make a noise,” Jason whispered back. “Where is she now?”

Now?’ I thought to myself. ‘What else had he done to her?’

“I don’t know . . . The bathroom? Did you get rid of the body?”

Hearing Jason curse to himself, I bolted up the stairs. I was not giving him the chance to stop me. I had to prove to myself that it was a dream. Hearing the rapid footsteps of both Jason and Nathaniel behind me, they didn’t reach me till I had gotten to the top of the staircase.

There, in the corner now was Lucy. Sobbing, I ran over to her tiny, fragile body. Hearing Jason once again curse to himself I spun around to face him.

“You monster!” I screamed. “Look what you did! Look what you did to her! She’s dead!”

Turning back to look at Lucy crumpled on the floor, I felt someone move from behind me.

“Get away from me,” I whispered. “Please.”

“Cassie, I won’t hurt you . . . I promise,” Jason spoke, his gaze straight on me.

My body trembled next to him. “Look what you did . . . How do I know you won’t do it to me?”

Tears were rolling down my cheeks as I bent down to her body. She was as white as a ghost and felt cold when I touched her. Jason hadn’t responded, but had also walked away from me.

“I’m sorry, Lucy,” I apologised, trying to stop myself from crying. “I’m so sorry I let this happen. Please, forgive me.”

Wrapping my arms around my knees I bent my head and began sobbing. Feeling someone move beside me, I quickly looked and saw Nathaniel looking at me with grief in his eyes. Leaning into him, I felt his arms wrap around me tightly as I cried into his chest.