Chapter 6

It’d been days since I’d seen her, but the vivid images replayed through my head continuously. Impulsive dreams followed and I found myself getting little to no sleep, most of the time I stayed awake to escape the nightmares that would come back. I’d made Jason go to the corner store to buy as much caffeine as possible, when he’d return I’d open another coffee jar, jumbo size.

I knew it wasn’t healthy, but there wasn’t much else I could really do. Neither of us had spoken of it since it happened, Jason and Nathaniel both knew it was out of bounds news to talk about. If they did talk about it, the minute I’d walk in the room they would both lapse into complete silence.

A loud thud of a coffee cup landed on the table in front of me. Jolting up in surprise I woke from my day dreaming. Jason was in front of me on the opposite side of the table. I looked down at the now full coffee cup; smiling softly up at him I grabbed the cup and began slowly sipping.

Sighing, Jason shook his head and walked to the kitchen, where Nathaniel was making himself busy by packing away the groceries.

“This is crazy!” Jason fiercely whispered. “She hasn’t slept, she hasn’t eaten, and she hasn’t done anything, but drink from a bloody coffee cup for the past week!”

Nathaniel shushed him. “It’s hard for her. We just need to be there for moral support, so if she wants to talk about it she can. Just don’t get mad, she doesn’t need that.”

I sighed and continued to sip my freshly brewed coffee. There was no way that I could ever be ready to talk about this, I had been zoning in and out of reality for the past week with nothing to keep me busy. Except for coffee, that seemed to be my one and only medicine that kept me sane.

A small brown bird tweeted outside, focusing my attention out the window. I saw it flying around with another small bird. Smiling, I thought to myself. ‘Would life ever get as easy as that?’

A life where we can walk around outside without it being a risk or meeting new people and not having to second guess whether they would hurt you or not. I didn’t notice Nathaniel sitting in front of me, so when I moved my gaze from the window I jumped.

“Nathaniel!” I breathed, trying to calm my stammering heart. “Don’t sneak up like that.”

He smiled at me. “Well that’s the most you’ve spoken to either of us all week!”

“I’m sorry,” I whispered. “I didn’t mean to be so ignorant over the past few days.”

Jason walked in. “No, not ignorant.”

I looked up at him, and then switched my gaze quickly across the room to an antique bookcase filled with novels dated back to the eighteenth century, all belonging to Nathaniel of course. I couldn’t ever imagine Jason reading, it seemed too unusual.

Soon enough, I realised that I had already zoned out completely.

“Cassie?” Nathaniel’s voice snapped me out of my oblivious daze.

I shook my head softly, looking towards him in confusion. “Sorry?”

“Again?” he sighed.

I gave him a shy smile. “I was concentrating on something. What were you saying?”

“I was talking to Jason about what happened . . .” Nathaniel spoke, giving me a pleasant smile.

Nausea shot through the pit of my stomach. Standing up I gave them both a look of disgust before I left the room. Walking down the hall I entered what I thought was my room for the time being.

Pulling my big red bag out of the closet I threw my clothes, shoes, schoolbooks, a few pieces of jewellery and my toiletries bag into it. Dumping the bag on the ground I quickly pulled on a pair of thongs, gathered my things and walked out the door with my mobile in my hand, parents on speed dial.