Chapter 4

*Emory's POV*

"Where have you been?!" I felt something solid and cold knock me over as soon as I closed the door.

"I was with a friend." I mumbled.

"Speak up, boy!" I was whacked again.

"I was with a friend, sir!" I answered.

"Get your ass off the ground!" My dad whacked me again, weakening any attempts I had at getting up.

When I finally managed to stand up straight I saw what was in his hands. A baseball bat.

"You don't have friends. Where were you?!" He yelled in my face, hitting my stomach as if it were a fastball.

"I was riding around, sir!" I decided to go with that.

"And wasting the gas I pay for?!" Once again, I was hit with the bat, but this time over the head.

With that I fell to the ground again. My ears began to ring and my body felt weak.

"You no good," He kicked my stomach when I attempted getting back up. "Lousy, lying little," He kicked repeatedly at my sides and stomach. "Son of a bitch!" He yelled with one more kick and a baseball swing at my back.

I sniffed back my tears and waited til he was gone to get up.

I ran to my room, locking the door and grabbing my backpack. I shoved some clothes, my toothbrush and toothpaste, underwear, and a few things that had belonged to my mom before she died. I threw my jacket on and snatched my helmet off the dresser. I looked around the room and grabbed the one thing I knew he would destroy if he found out I was gone for the night, the only picture I had of my mom and me. I quickly shoved it into my backpack before climbing out the window.

I rolled my motorcycle down the road a ways so he wouldn't hear it turn on. When I was finally far enough away, I started her up and rode off. I wasn't sure where I was going to go, but I knew where I'd go until I knew where to stay, the elementary school.

When I got there I went straight to the swings with the picture of my mom and me. Knowing I was alone, I let myself cry. I sobbed and screamed at the picture.

"I love you, but why did you have to leave me?! I can't do this, mom! I know he hates me! It's not your fault, but ever since you left nothing has been the same! He's gone crazy and now all I do is think about taking my own life!" I screamed, tears streaming down my face. "Mom.." My voice weakened. "I need you." My voice became a whisper. I sat there crying for a moment before folding the picture up and stuffing into my pocket. I reached into my other pocket, pulling out a blade I had taken from one of the tool boxes in our garage. I slid my sleeve up and placed the ice cold blade to my wrist. Before I sliced it, I paused. "Wait." I said to myself. I rolled my sleeve above my elbow. "This'll kill me." I said. Once again, I placed the blade to my skin. As I began to slide it across to break the skin I froze when I heard a familiar voice.

"Please don't." I looked up to see Dawn, tears in her eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Dawn's POV*

"This'll kill me." I heard him mumble.

"Please don't." I said, fighting tears back at the sight of Emory trying to cut the vein in his arm.

He looked up at me with his tear stained face and remained silent. He looked surprised.

"P-Please. G-Give it to m-me, Emory." I stuttered, struggling to fight back the tears.

He carefully pulled it away from his skin and slid his sleeve back down. He looked at the blade in his hand for a moment.

"Please, Emory." A tear slid down my face and I could hear my voice crack.