Chapter 14 - Right with You

Olivia

I feel it as soon as I cross the threshold of my bedroom. Walking into an empty apartment devoid of its inhabitants yet again depresses me more than I'd like to admit.

For the life of me I don't understand why I told Nico I wanted to be alone. I'm sick of being alone. I wanted to be with him. The party was just too much to handle, and I needed to reset. Instead I pushed him away.

The tears I've been holding all week freely make their way down my cheeks. I quickly brush them away, hating the reminder of how pathetic I feel. When I can't contain them any longer, I head to the bathroom and wash my face, removing all evidence of the makeup I hadn't applied in months. I thought getting dressed up and having a night out would make me feel normal again, but instead it just proved how abnormal I am. I felt so awkward and out of place, as if I no longer belonged in that world.

I decide not to change out of my dress and lie down on my bed. Nico made me feel so beautiful and wanted when he saw me wearing it, and I want to hold on to that feeling, only if for a while longer until I fall asleep.

I notice my phone charging next to my bed and pick it up. I guess in my excitement to leave earlier I left it behind. I can't believe I didn't even notice. I'm always so careful to have it on me in case something happens to my dad. When I see the calls and unread messages from Nico I feel my eyes prick with tears again. How could I be so careless?

Nico, I'm just reading these. I left my phone charging in my room. I'm sorry. Can we talk tomorrow?

I cover my face with my hand in frustration. I probably could have avoided the whole fiasco if I just had my stupid phone with me. That and if someone hadn't spilled their freaking drink on me and caused me to need a bathroom urgently. My phone lights up, and I see a message from Nico.

Don't worry about your phone, Olivia. It was my fault. We can talk now if you want?

I wasn't expecting him to respond so quickly since he should still be driving on his way home or back to the party. I'm not sure where he was going.

Okay, call me when you're free. Please don't text while you're driving.

He doesn't respond so I take that as a good sign that he listened to me. I sigh in relief, already feeling better that I get to talk to him before I go to sleep tonight. I feel like I didn't do a good job of explaining myself properly and let my emotions get the best of me.

My phone lights up again several minutes later, and I worry that he's texting me again. But once I read the text, my worry turns into serious heart palpitations.

Can you do me a favor and open your door?

What? There's no way he's here. I jump out of my bed and practically run to the front door. I look out the peephole and sure enough, he's standing outside looking as handsome as ever in his jeans and a black shirt.

I open the door and he looks at me in concern, like he's not sure he should be here. "I couldn't leave," he says as an apology.

Completely baffled, I grab his hand and pull him inside all the way back into my bedroom. I wrap my arms around him as soon as the door shuts, still not believing he's here.

He hugs me just as tightly, running his fingers through my hair, and it feels amazing. I don't know how long we stay like that but when we separate, he cups my face and studies my eyes.

"You were crying," he says sadly.

I nod in embarrassment, avoiding his gaze.

"Please don't cry because of me, gatinha. I'm an idiot. I'm not worth it."