Her Magic Has Failed (10)

"Why does that foul language sound so familiar?" Arthur questioned. My breath was becoming shorter, heavier, and more laboured with each passing second. I could feel my palms, feet, face, and basically everything beginning to sweat. If he found out that I was still alive, he would see to it himself that I was actually executed this time. 

"I don't know what you're talking about my lord." Merlin said, his voice shaking a little as he spoke. 

Selfish. I thought to myself. Here you are worrying about being executed knowing full well that Merlin would face something much worse. He was the one who helped me get here in the first place, and that's not something Arthur would take lightly. 

"I'm sorry sire, I'm not usually this vulgar, you just startled me." I said as calmly as I could manage, still not turning to face him. 

"It would be easier to apologize if you turned around." Arthur said, his voice indicating that he was clearly becoming impatient with me.

"It's okay." Merlin said, his voice suddenly calm. 

I slowly turned around, making sure that the cloak was still covering the majority of my features. "Remove the garment, it's impairing my view of your face." Arthur said as he began tapping his foot. 

I looked up cautiously, just enough to see Merlin giving me a nod, a slight smile on his face. I quirked an eyebrow at him, but did as Arthur said, removing the cloak. 

Based on Arthur's reaction once the cloak was off, he had no idea it was me. I wasn't sure how, but based on the relaxed expression on Merlin's face, he had something to do with it. "Now that wasn't so hard was it." Arthur smiled, climbing out of the window; now face to face with me.

"No sire, it wasn't." I said, trying my best to muster a somewhat believable British accent. 

"Now Merlin," Arthur said, turning away from me to Merlin who was still safely inside of the house, "How did you manage to convince such a beautiful young lady to favour you?" He asked, turning to me, grabbing my hand, and kissing it softly. 

I was about to intervene to explain that Merlin and I were just friends, but Merlin quickly spoke before I had the opportunity. "Magic." He said, the smile on his face widening as he looked at me. 

My heart stopped. Of course! That was how he did it! How could I have forgotten that Merlin was a wizard in the legends. He must have done something to disguise me, there must be some spell for that. I'll have to ask him. I thought to myself as I smiled at Arthur. "You know," Arthur said, interrupting my thoughts, "If you ever get bored with him, I live in the large castle over there," He told me, gesturing to the palace at the centre of Camelot, "It's pretty hard to miss." 

"I don't think that will be necessary My Lord." I said as politely as possible. 

"I thought I would offer." He smiled, shrugging his shoulders. 

After a few moments, I came to the rather uncomfortable realization that Arthur had been staring at me since our encounter began. Aside from the moment he turned to look at Merlin of course. "Is something the matter sire?" I asked, my voice a little shaky as I spoke.

"No problem, you just remind me of someone." He said, taking a step closer to me. 

"Is that a good thing or a bad thing My Lord?" I inquired, taking a step back from him.

He didn't say anything, just took another step closer to me. "Does she remind you of someone too, Merlin?" Arthur asked, his eyes never leaving mine.

"I don't believe so, no. Who are you thinking of?" Merlin replied. I looked over to him to see his forehead covered in sweat, and his eyes thinned in concentration.