I'm a Goner (6)

"Are you sure you're okay?" Arthur asked, lifting his hand up to my cheek; the touch making me feel like I was going to vomit; but in the good way. Vomit in the good way? Seriously Ava. There is no good vomit. Vomit is always vile and gross and- "Ava?"

"Oh yea sorry. I'm fine don't worry about it." I nodded, brushing him off and attempting to take deep breaths while also trying to focus my attention on something other than his hand on my cheek. "Is it hot in here?"

"Maybe you're coming down with a fever," He wondered, the back of his hand touching my forehead. "No, you're a perfectly normal temperature. Would you like me to escort you back to your room so you can sleep?"

"Yea. Sleep sounds nice, thanks." I smiled, allowing his hand to guide me towards my room by the small of my back. It was silent as we walked and I knew it was entirely my fault. But it's not like I can control the voice inside my head screaming at me for not realizing that I liked him sooner.

Wait a second. Did I intentionally tell Arthur about Gwen's infidelity even though I didn't think it was intentional at the time? No Ava you wouldn't do something so stupid. But would I? Oh my gosh what if I sabotaged a relationship for my own benefit I'm so dumb I'm so dumb I'm so- "Ava, we're here." Arthur said, waving his hand in front of my face to get my attention.

"Well duh, I totally knew that. Okay I should get going, um goodnight!" I stumbled out my words quickly, fumbling with the door handle for a bit before literally falling into my room. "Shit." I cursed as I felt a pair of hands lift me up, but when I looked up it was Lancelot's eyes that met my own; not Arthur's as I had expected. "Um, hello." I croaked out, manually removing his hands from my waist as I brushed the dirt off of my dress.

"Ava, I'm sorry to show up unannounced I just-" His words were cut off when he made eye contact with something - well someone, behind me. "Oh Arthur. My apologies, I should probably just come back." He regarded awkwardly, scratching the back of his neck as he tried to make his way out of the room.

"No." Arthur said firmly, standing in the doorway and sending Lancelot a somewhat sinister smirk. "What is it that you would like to say? I'm sure Ava wouldn't mind if you said it in front of both of us, isn't that right Ava?" He asked, sending me his heart wrenching smile.

I felt a little drool dribble out of the corner of my mouth as I nodded subconsciously. Arthur just rolled his eyes a little, a goofy smile on his face as he averted his attention back to Lancelot. "So, what is it that you were in this Lady's room for?"

Lancelot seemed nervous under the King's gaze, but in a moment, he gathered his composure; standing taller than he had before. "Well you see, I was actually coming to assure Ava that there is no longer anything going on between Gwen and I."

"And why would you feel the need to do that?" Arthur asked, obviously growing quite agitated as he took a step towards Lancelot.

"No reason my Liege, I just wanted to make sure she knew." He said with a smile, turning his head to look at me for a moment before sending me a wink. "Goodnight Lady Ava, and you too Arthur." Lancelot said before shoving passed Arthur and making his way down the hall and back to his room.

"King Arthur to you!" Arthur shouted down the hall before turning back to me. "What was that all about? Is something going on between you and Lancelot?" Arthur asked, a mixture of curiosity and anger crossing his boyish features.

"What? No of course not; he was just being an asshole because you were being hostile, that's all." I told him, rolling my eyes as I made my way over to my dresser; picking out one of my night gowns and laying it gently along the bed.

"That doesn't make any sense." Arthur said, brushing his chin and looking up at the ceiling as though it would give him answers to the question inside his head.

"Yea well men don't make much sense. Just something you're going to have to get used to." I shrugged, tugging at the strings on my corset to no avail. "You mind?" I asked, spinning around and pointing at the ribbon.

"Er, no." He said awkwardly making his way over to me and beginning to work on the strings of the corset. "And it's not only men that are confusing, women are extremely hard to decipher." He commented, his fingers making quick work of the tight ribbon. I felt myself exhale as the corset became looser; and I begun to relax.

"We're not that confusing." I chuckled, thanking him under my breath as I felt the last ribbon come out. Holding the corset to my nearly exposed chest, I made my way over to the space where I had left my night gown. "Turn around." I smiled, turning to him and laughing a little as Arthur stood there; stunned. "I said turn around." I complained, doing a spinning motion with my finger as he turned around. "Thank you." I let the rest of my clothes fall to the ground along with my corset, and then I proceeded to slide the nightgown over my head. "Okay you can turn back around." I told him as I turned to face him; but he was already staring at me.

My face began to heat as I realized he was looking at me with a lustful expression. "Did you just uh-"

"Did you really expect me to turn around when a beautiful girl was changing right in front of me?"

"Well yea! It's common courtesy pervert." I groaned, stomping my foot like a two year old as he took a step towards me.

"I'm sorry Ava. I tried to look away, I really did. I just-" His train of thought broke as he paused in front of me. "Oh my god the look on your face!" He said, nearly falling over in a fit of laughter.

"Wait so you-" I started but his continuous laughing and the shaking of his head told me he didn't look.

"No, I just have exceptional timing. I would never disrespect a woman like that." He informed me, his face growing serious as he took more steps towards me. "But, one day, if you decide you would like to show me what's beneath this night gown." He smiled, pulling me closer to him by the fabric of the gown. "I wouldn't be opposed."

"You're disgusting." I said, trying not to smile and failing.

"If I were less disgusting would you let me see what's hiding under the gown?"

"Perhaps."

"Really?"

"No. Now go back to your room I need to get some sleep." I chuckled, trying to shove him out of the room.

"Fine okay I'm going." He laughed, allowing me to get him to the door frame before halting. "But one last thing before I go." He said, turning around and pulling me towards him by the hips.

"I'm not taking off my night gown."

"That's not what I was going to ask." He smiled.

"Are you sure?"

"Okay fine, maybe it was the follow up question."

"What do you want Arthur?"

He just stood there for a moment before his hands came up, cupping my cheeks. Before I knew what was going on, Arthur's lips pressed against mine. They were gentle, soft, and very telling. He had definitely waited a long time to do this. Just as I was about to tangle my hands in his hair to deepen the kiss, he pulled away. "Knew it." He whispered, his eyes staring intensely into my own.

"What?" I asked, breathless.

"I knew that as soon as I kissed you I would be a goner. Goodnight Ava." He whispered, picking up my hand and placing a soft kiss on it before making his way down the hall and into his own room.

I stood in my doorway, still frozen from the kiss, and what he had said after the kiss. As I looked up, preparing to close the door my eyes fell on Gwen who was staring at me intently; and angrily. I didn't even need to wonder whether or not she had seen what just happened as I knew that she had.

 Fuck. I thought to myself as I awkwardly tried to avoid her gaze. This is not going to end well.