Chapter Five: "Sudden Leap"

Chapter Five:

—Sudden Leap—

"Aş dori să-mi cer scuze ... ceea ce sa întâmplat a fost o greşeală ..."

 “"I had just gone...without you knowing...and you paid the price for my mistake...""

February 24th, 1747

(2 Years Later...)

It was dark, possibly around midnight and Damien, the son of the greatest wulfen-hunter in London, was running through the woods. 

No, he was not running for his life, it was a game. He had bet Zackary he could outrun him for over an hour and if he won, then the teen wulfen would have to spend one night at the auburn-haired teen’s manor.

But if he lost, he would have to go without any of his beloved kisses for a whole week. Everything that led from kisses, as well. Damien would be celibate that whole week, a little redheaded angel. 

Unless he won, of course. Then he would become the greatest incubus to ever have graced London’s streets. But only if he won.

Damien ducked behind a tree as he stopped to catch his breath. He hadn’t seen Zackary for about most of the game but that certainly didn’t mean he’d won. Zackary was very cunning when it came to games.

He’d mastered chess in one day and had managed to beat the stingy bank teller four games in a row, he would have won more but Damien complained of being bored and thus you have the game. 

Damien frowned, it was all too quiet right now. Too quiet for someone as tall as Zackary to be following him. The teen risked a look behind the tree and saw no one and nothing. It would seem as if he was alone. Which could not have been any more wrong. 

A loud snarl nearly made Damien scream in terror and jump out of his skin. He spun and was ready with a raised fist when he came nose to chest with a silver wulfen. Damien’s face turned indignant as he harshly whispered, “That’s cheating! You can’t shift!” The wulfen gave him that clearly read “And you are telling me this, why?”

Damien threw his hands up in frustration, “You cheated, so the deal’s off!” He sat down on the ground with a huff, making a deep rumble sound form the large wulfen’s chest. Damien was not as amused. “You’re such a cheater...you still didn’t win, but you technically didn’t win either...”

“Neither of us won,” the wulfen said, and then auburn-haired teen rolled his eyes.

“I know that,” he snapped and then hugged his knees to his chest, as if cold in the slight winter chill. Zackary took notice and crept to his side, before sitting at his side. He nuzzled the redhead’s hair and said teen’s face flushed in embarrassment.

Here he was: in the woods, with a wulfen no less, and he was enjoying the beastly company. How ironic, he thought as he leaned into the wulfen’s chest and warm fur, entwining his nimble fingers in the long silver strands and curling his digits around it. I’m outside the town limits and it is hunting season.

Hunting season.

Damien started, a half-whispered and half-shouted swear escaping his rosy lips. He looked at Zackary’s large form in the light of the full moon and then reality hit home hard. It was hunting season. And not just any hunting season, oh no, it was hunting season for wulfen. Zackary was in danger in this form.

“We have to leave!” he urged hurriedly, scrambling to his feet as he strained his ears for gunshots, the bay of hunting dogs, or the sound of men coming together to take down together. At first, nothing...