My Beta gives Me Strength

Chapter 26

“Mom, relax, don’t go jumping to any conclusions—“

“How many conclusions can I jump to, it says you’re pregnant!” she whispered in a voice that told me she was about to start freaking out. Inside I was already freaking out because there was no possible way that I could explain this to her. Even though this time I was completely innocent I couldn’t just tell her that nature made me pregnant so she can kill me. I doubt she would have fallen for that and honestly if I were in her position I wouldn’t have fallen for it either. When I thought about it it sounded very unlikely even to me so I wasn’t even going to try explaining it that way. There was no point.

Her eyes darted over the contents of the paper once more before her shock filled eyes shot up to me again. I opened my mouth to try defending myself but she quickly interrupted.

“Alex, do you know what this means? How could you have let this happen?” she continued in that panicky whisper of hers.

I sighed inwardly. How would I explain that I had nothing to do with me getting pregnant? She was probably going to yell at me or something then she would tell Dad—oh no. I promised him that I wouldn’t sleep with Damen anymore—granted I hadn’t but he wouldn’t know that because the results on that piece of paper said otherwise. He would be so disappointed, and for no reason too! Why did nature have to be such a bitch?! I hadn’t done anything to her. She didn’t even want me to try fixing the problem; she just wanted me dead so she could try again. It was all so stupid and all this could have been easily avoided but no, she just had to do things this way. Now I would have to act like I had some kind of guilt weighing me down and lie I was really remorseful even though I was a good girl. I really couldn’t bother. I would probably have to throw in some fake tears to make her think that I was torn up and freaking out or something—oh gosh I needed a story for how this all happened.

Um . . .

Well I couldn’t blame Damen; not if I wanted him back over here but I doubt that if they wouldn’t buy the werewolf story they would have bought the Immaculate Conception thing either. I was screwed—and not even literally!

“Mom—I—it’s not my fault, I—“

“How is this not your fault? It takes two to make a baby.”

No it didn’t, just ask nature; it didn’t even take one!

“But I,” This was the part that would kill me. I had to try to not throw up over the garbage I was about to be forced to spout, “Please don’t tell Dad, he’ll be angry with me, please Mom.” I forced a few tears to come to my eyes as I made my way across the room. I took hold of her hands and tried pleading to her through my eyes. She sighed as if she didn’t know what to do with me. In her mind I was probably becoming a problem child; even better. When I realized that she didn’t seem very moved I went into overdrive, grabbing hold of her and forcing a shower of tears. This was degrading. “Mom, I’m begging you. I know I messed up and I’m going to have to deal with the consequences but just don’t tell him—“

“He’ll have to find out at some point—“

“He will—I’ll tell him myself but just please don’t.” she was softening. “You have to believe me that none of this was my fault.” Really it wasn’t.

She sighed again.

‘We’ll talk about this later after you’re father goes to sleep-I-I have to get back to the garden.”

I nodded meekly. This was awful. Whenever Mom didn’t pursue a problem it meant that she was really disappointed, even to the point where she had no fight left in her. She looked at me one last time before shaking her head then heading back to her garden. She stopped at the kitchen door and turned to face me again.