Prologue

**** Brittany headed back to her dorm room from a bar late one night. Her classmates had all decided to go out and blow off some steam, and had talked her into joining them.

"Tany, are you sure you don't want me to drive you home?" Her roommate Tina Jones asked.

She smiled at the tall African American beauty but shook her head. "Thanks, but no. The dorms aren't that far from here and it's a beautiful night. I'll be fine, besides I know how to defend myself if I need to."

She was obviously not convinced, but Tina nodded anyway, "Ok, sweety. But, call me as soon as you get in, at the very least for my own peace of mind." she smiled and waved back at the other girls when one of them called, "I'll hang with the girls awhile longer, and be back before midnight, I promise."

Brittany chuckled, "You worry too much, but it's a deal. Have fun, T." she giggled, "But, not to much fun." After giving her best friend a hug, she turned and began heading home.

Living on campus had been a difficult adjustment for Brittany. She had lived her entire life on the 3B Ranch, out in the middle of nowhere. But, here she was going to school to become a detective, working a part time job as a cop, and living in the city to boot.

She missed her family and her horse, Aphrodite. It was worse at night and particularly when the homework didn't take up her entire evening. She stopped on the sidewalk to look up at the stars, the very same stars her family was possibly looking up at as well.

Kyle, her eldest brother had told her when she left home, "If you ever feel homesick or alone, just look up at the night sky. Know that we are always thinkin' of ya, and that you're never really alone. We'll be lookin' at the same stars."

Just the thought of that made her feel warm on a cold night, but lately even that hadn't been enough. She felt like she couldn't breath, like the world was closing in on her. Her family weren't the only people she missed. Brittany also missed... him.

She had no idea if he was even still alive. God, she prayed he was safe, and had gotten out of that undercover assignment. She shook her head in disgust.

'Girl, why do you keep torturing yourself? You need to face the facts. He's never coming back!' Lost in that painful thought she hadn't really been paying all that much attention to where she'd been going... untill it was to late.

The sound of a can being kicked along the concrete sidewalk caught her attention as it echoed down a long alleyway

The sound of a can being kicked along the concrete sidewalk caught her attention as it echoed down a long alleyway. Suddenly she felt the need to run, but if she really was being watched, running would trigger aggression and make things worse.

She quickened her steps slightly, keeping her ears open for any strange sounds. She was forced to stop in her tracks when a man stepped out of the shadows in front of her. Being downwind the smell coming off of him nearly turned her stomach.