Chapter 7:Mr. MacCallahan

The phone rang three times before, it went to voice mail...Two tries later, my father’s voice chimed in. "Hello sweetheart"-He paused catching his breath "How are you, the signal is horrible as usual, but the view...man, I wish you could see it" He said, the snap of a camera sounded in the background, different voices that carried an exotic accent at the same time spoke as if he was near a city, but in fact there were only five men, his crew was utterly necessary for his own survival no matter where he was needed to go in order to keep tabs on himself.

"Hi, dad, Do you remember Mr. MacCallahan, I was wondering if I could meet him, I'm in a bit of a trouble here in Scotland, a few miles of Dublin for a school trip, but anyways...I was wondering if he'd mind lending me a hand" I asked in rushed tones.

"Oh,Ok...I'll ask him, but under the same condition..."he waited on the line as if holding his breath while my mind was trying to not let me go in despair " Do we have a The Deal?"

"Only if you get me save passage to New York, for me and a friend, he needs my help" I said holding the boy closer to me. Cain sent me a glare and Jess was about to protest but they waited until for me to finish the call.

"Do you trust this friend of yours?" He asked in a serious tone.

"Yes" I sighed.

He let on a squeal making me wince and a couple of camera's snaps were shot. Another minute went by and he finally said. "Ok, let Michael know if you need anything else. I'll send you the details later, Take care dear"  He said before finishing the call.

My father was easy going with almost everything but under all that pretense he was pretty sharp in his appreciation towards other, never letting go a detail. I was sure he hadn't asked any more details only because he believed in me and in my not-getting-myself-in-troubles-for-nothing policy. That and the fact he had made a sweet deal to himself.

"Explain..." seethed Cain, perched in the table next to Jess who was scowling. I was more scared of a calm Cain instead a dorky one...

A "Shit, had just hit the fan" sign turned on in my brain...

"We cannot call attention, My disappearance won't be as much as shock as one of yours, I can tell the teacher, I'll be returning home with my dad a bit later and have Michael call to confirm, and so that you guys can head home with him, we'll be on a taxi earlier to do not call attention to anyone else  under the pretense that I'm really sick and that my dad is meeting me in the hospital, so that I can meet up with Mr. MacCallahan. And go back to New York...Mom won't mind having him around, as long as my father backs up my story of him being an exchange student...everything should go smoothly...We'll figure out something else later..." I said cradling the weird guy head in my chest, somehow his presence had turned my world upside down and made me do stupid things...I lived by a simple policy, indifference until you cannot longer deny it...

"How did things turned up like this?" grumbled Cain picking up his covers from the floor

"We were supposed to get you cheered up from your parents’ divorce, make you see that the world isn't as shitty as it seems...but here we, with proof that the world always finds ways to be even shittier with a note that says "But you truly are my favorite" explained Jess

"Gahhhh" Exclaimed Cain. At my startled gaze, he sighed folding his covers closing his eyes. "You really think we wouldn't notice how your smiles have been tight lately, especially after they signed the divorce papers" Smiled sadly Jess rubbing the back of his neck " It was longer due, but that doesn't makes it easier, really princess, it sucks but well...at least you called your dad..."He shrugged in response.

"What we are trying to say is...no matter how fucked up the world seems to be, you can count on us to try and make it better by your side" Smiled tiredly Cain with eyes that seemed to have aged when I was not watching, he hadn't slept well, his hair was all greasy and his clothes crumples. Jess was in no better shape and had cuts in his hands, probably from the rope. I felt my eyes sting and become blurry before smothering my face in the mystery guy hair....

"Thanks" I managed to croak.

The rest of the day was spent with me on the phone making sure Michael did my bidding, knowing that it really irked him my ordering around. I got to talk with Mr.MacCallahan who said he would send a private car to pick us up, and that he would have loved to meet with us but that he was rather busy with some work in Germany and wouldn't be in Dublin in three more days. Making me promised to visit him too, he said his own assistant would coordinate things with Michael.

When our teacher returned, Cain and Jess said goodbye and went on to distract him as planned. We ate some more before going to sleep. Me in the chair, while the boy rested on my bed. His bandages had been changed under our startled gazes, his gashes had almost closed leaving faint pink lines where it used to be open. 

I had managed to pack my stuff and his in my black suitcase, so we were almost ready to go...jut sleep was being elusive. When my eyelids finally shut down, the memories of children being rushed to  the forest by their mothers while the adults considered of kids from fifteen to forty seemed to be fighting with pretty rural weapons. As if an ancient pacifist village was under attack, it was a massacre. The shadows on the horses slashed with swords and such hidden under white masks.

The screams were muted making them so much awful, yet the fear that I felt was not my own, the yelp of pain imploding in my side wasn’t my own.

I finally awoke gasping for air while reaching for my side, it still felt as if a it had been branded in some form, but I couldn't say. The boy was still sleeping but seemed to have trouble to awake too...I walked closer to him, and shook him. He gasped in plain terror and curled his body in a protective form. As if expecting to be beaten again. I switched the lamp beside the table on and slowly turned to him. I started to hum and old lullaby that my father used to sing to me, while waiting for mom to return, an started to rub his back as he shaked in sobs.  

When the clock finally ticked three am Cain came in, He found me there kneeling in front of my bed rubbing his back. He kept his eyes averted, and took my belongings downstairs. 

"Hey, it's time to go...remember, I will protect you" I said gently.When I retired my hand his own shut out to grab my wrist while he whimpered. I took his other hand in mine and kept my eyes on his. "We need to leave, I need to know that you'll be safe"

He finally let go and I gave him a bundle of clothes to change in. He seemed to lack modesty because he just started stripping away. So I turned my back on him and walked like a crab to take my own clothes so that I could have a shower before going. 

By the time I returned to the bedroom, he was gone and only my backpack was waiting for me. I put my clothes in there and resumed in a fast pace downstairs to find him. Only Jess or Cain could get in my bedroom so either of them had take him downstairs. The three of them were by the side of a volvo, waiting for me. 

I hugged the boys strongly promissing to meet up with them as soon as they landed in New York, and turned to take the boy's hand in mine and enter the car.