The Only Exception

"The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." – Morrie Schwartz

~ * ~

Prologue

"What is the worst thing you've ever done?"

I'm not sure I can fully answer the question. The worst thing I've done in my twenty years of life was cheat on a math test. But, if I had a say on what I'd think was the worst thing anyone could do, it would be hurting the person you love.

I've never known what true love is. And I don't believe it exists. I mean, how can I? After what my father did? I don't think you'd even believe in it after seeing what my mother's been through.

I've never seen someone in such pain. She was torn apart. It was tearing our family apart even though it only consisted of my mother, me and my seven-year-old brother, Wren. Her pain hurt me. I could hear her cries at night, even if she had spent the whole day laughing and smiling. She was good at hiding at her feelings majority of the time. I've never seen her cry in front of me. But when that... bastard hurt her, she fell apart. Even though she tried to hide it the best she could, you'd still see the puffy, bloodshot eyes and the red, stuffy nose.

He was her everything. The only one she believed she could love. And he let fifteen years of marriage go down the drain all for someone with a tighter ass and perkier tits.

After that night when my mother lost her life...I blamed him for everything. If he had the face to come back after that whore leaves him for another man, he'd better think twice. I can't forgive him for what he's done. I would be stupid.

But, there is one man I trust. He showed me the good. He showed me that not all men are after sex. He was the only exception.

* Rewritten!