The Devil's Spawn

Abuse. One word that can make people cringed. Cops. One enforcement that makes people not try anything bad after they’ve already been arrested once. Bloody murder. One sound that you hear right before you kill someone you love. My life as a child has not been easy. Being raised by a loving mother and a bipolar father was not the high life. When I was little, I used to remember the nights were there would be fighting about the bills and how my mother had hid them on him. It wasn’t technically my mother’s fault though, if dad knew we were in debt, my mother would have been dead.

It was right before our family vacation trip to Colorado. I was in 2nd grade; my sister was in 4th grade. It was actually the night before we drove the airport. My dad was looking for something he lost a while back, and looked on top of the wooden glass case. Up there, held the bills that my mother had been trying to pay off. My dad was angry so he sent my sister and I outside to play. We were innocent back then, thought that they wanted to be alone. But that didn’t seem to be the case with them.

Let’s fast forward to a few years later, my dad want to buy a nice car. He went to the car dealer ship and that’s when my father asked our mother if it was alright if he bought it. Our mother kept telling him to wait on it… think about it a different day, to talk about it when they got home. But that never happened either. Our dad checked how we were doing in money, he found out that we were in debt and called our mother screaming in her ear through the phone. He was about a half hour away from our house so our mom took my sister, Lucinda, and I to the car and we left with what we had on our backs. My dad kept calling her yelling at her through the phone, while I was yelling in the back seat at her to just trust him and go home.

“Mommy please!” As tears plastered almost my entire face, “Just tell him you’ll come home! Tell him you’ll work it out! Just don’t split! Mommy!” I could tell she was thinking about it for a moment because she hated when I cried, it tore her heart, anyone could see that. When he called again she answered for the last time.

“I’ll come home with the kids under one condition…” He answered on the other side of the phone.

“You won’t hurt me or the kids.” It seemed like he agreed so we pulled around in an old, abandon gas station and started to head home. When we got home that day we were forced to go outside again. But this time we knew that they didn’t just want to be alone. Lucinda and I were hoping that they patched things up and we thought they did, until the next year.

That year was when my dad’s violent side started to show… Lucinda was in her room while I was in my room, we heard shouting taking place in the living room and decided to see what was happening. My father was hitting my mother but started to force her down the hallway and into their room. In there, the shouting was even worse, and the noise that really made us stop him was a scream, “Don’t! Stop please!” and then there was crying. I was behind Lucinda because she was older and had more courage than me.

“Daddy stop please! Leave her alone, don’t hurt her!” Lucinda shouted into the destroyed room. After our dad heard Lucinda’s voice he stopped and told us to get out and both of us to go to my cluttered room. When we turned he left the room while shutting the door behind him and we all went down thee white hallway into my yellow room. In their, our dad started crying.

“I can’t keep living like this anymore. I just want to kill her sometimes now-a-days. I’m so sorry I put you guys through this… I won’t ever hurt you or your mother again. I promised.” He cried through his words while hugging us at the end. And in that moment Lucinda and I thought we could trust him and hold him to his word.

After that night we had school, that year I was in 6th grade and during math, I kept hearing my mother’s scream and picturing that scene over and over again. And right then and there, I almost cried. I couldn’t handle it anymore, all the fighting had got to me and all the tears really wanted to flow out of me like the Victoria Falls in Africa.

Every time that they would fight, it got worse and worse. It got so bad that my dad would kick her out of the house and asked us who would want to go with her and that he would see us on the weekends. Lucinda always stayed; I on the other hand, would always leave. The night that changed my perspective about him was when he thought that she was having an affair with a guy at work. He used vulgar language about us “bitches” and “sluts” and he started to ask if she wanted to go for a car ride with him. When she kept refuses he pushed down the hallway into their room. He shut the door and they started fighting. When my mom came out she went downstairs to tell Lucinda to tell Auntie to make the call.

Ten minutes later, the cops arrive asking for my parents. When the cops stated that a third party had called, he instantly glared at me. I trembled while I started bawling. After they asked me questions I sat outside in the crisp air. When I looked up, my aunt and uncle came over. Once inside they were asked multiple questions, some which even I couldn’t hear. That night my dad was arrested for domestic abuse, he got bailed out and is now living under the same roof as us again.

Big mistake, because now you never know when he’s going to lash out, attack, again. Every day we imagine the most terrible, so when he actually does attack again, it won’t be nearly as bad. He waits for the Devils call. The Devil’s call to have to his Devil Spawn, our father, strike again for one final time.

- A/N: I was watching crime shows all day and thought about writing somehting that wasnt... happy haha... vote, comment, fan whatever works for you.. :) Thanks!!

-Jay