Chapter Three

CHAPTER THREE

No reason to stay is a good reason to go."

-

 I put on my shoes and grabbed my sling bag. It’s been two weeks since I’ve fled from the house of hell. I haven’t seen Laura since that first night. I decided not to get myself an apartment and stay at Sarah’s place.

 Onto my third day of my job, I finally met Sarah, the waitress Nick was talking about. Like everything he told me, she was nice, super sweet and a little crazy sometimes. But since she seemed to be my first ever friend who was a girl, I really liked her.

Sarah offered me to stay at her apartment for the time being. I didn’t hesitate to say yes since it was a great offer. But that was before I got to know her boyfriend was living there as well. I was grateful he didn’t say much. He was working in a car company and with a little help from him I got myself a brand new car. Of course, I haven’t paid the full amount yet but I knew I would. It’s just a matter of months before I could buy anything in the world. All my debts, I mean everything and Aunt Mel and Laura won’t be getting a single penny.

 I put my shoes on and walked out of my room.

“Sarah! Come on we’re going to be late, we both got the afternoon shift today remember?” I called for Sarah who seemed to be running late today.

 I walk to her bedroom door and gave it a knock.

“Sarah come on! Or I’ll leave you,” I knocked a little harder this time and it took a few seconds for the door to open and Sarah sneaked out fully dressed. She was wearing skin tight jeans and a sleeveless maroon top.

“Okay, okay. Let’s go,” she pulled me away from the room to the main door. I grabbed my keys and we both climbed down the stairs towards my brand new Audi R8. Exactly, I got a pretty decent car didn’t I?

 I unlocked the car and Sarah jumped straight in and I hopped into the driver’s seat. I took a quick glance at Sarah and saw how tense she was. She was awfully quiet and by the way she is acting I can tell that she is nervous about something.

 I started the engine and took a glance at Sarah. She was 23 years old; I saw it on her ID badge once. She does seem much more mature than I am of course. She was blonde, skinny and short. She always had her hair tide up in a bun, it seemed like she didn’t have any other hair styles.

 I drove off to the café and there were no exchange of words between us. I’ve been living with Sarah for almost ten days now and she seemed to have gotten almost everything out of me.

She knew about my aunt and everything else. I haven’t told her how my parents died but she gets that it was tragic. She’s talkative most of the time. I don’t know what’s gotten into her today.  

 I started my shift working at the back while Sarah handled the counter. I’d just make the drinks. I walked to the back to wash the rag I just used to wipe the tables.

 “Two hot chocolates and one brownie!” I heard Sarah shout the orders to me. I put on my cap and started making the drinks. I walked to the counter and gave her the drinks and placed a brownie in a paper bag.

 I walked back to where I was from and overheard a customer at the counter having a chat with Sarah. I stopped right behind the door to listen.

 “Do you know this girl?” I peeked out to see that the man was showing Sarah a picture. Whose picture is that? I moved a little closer to have a better view, careful not to reveal myself.

Oh no.

It’s me. It’s a picture of me!

I listened even harder to know what Sarah is telling him.