19. Joey +- Learning to Trust in You [Part Five]

Isn't this a surprise! Hi! Nice to meet you guys again. I almost feel as if I should introduce myself, it's been so long. And Bonjour/Hola/Whatever to any new passengers on the quickly-coming-to-an-end Positively Negative cruise! Hope you're enjoying the journey. Complaints or miscelleneous comments about cabin crew, staff and the captain (namely myself) can be sent in via the comments box below.

The dedication goes to PassionInFlames, because I'm feeling mighty guilty that she stopped hounding me. That meant she reaaallly gave up on me ever updating. But alas! I proved her and all ye other sea-goers wrong! An update awaits. I decided I couldn't let Christmas day come an go without a touch of Joey, and so I sat in my bed with a Santa hat on and typed until my fingers complained, and then typed some more. It's now past 6am on the Eve of Christmas and I haven't slept a wink, but it's my fault and I ask for no sympathy! (I'm not tired anyway :L)

Enjoy this Freddie-starved but brimming-with-Joey chapter.

Chapter Nineteen

Learning to Trust in You Part Five

Joey +-

We left Mr. Read’s class better friends than we’d ever been, and I don’t even think Ryan registered the looks people were giving him. It both worried and comforted me. Ryan was more thick-skinned that I was, he’d probably be able to handle everything. Which was good. But I couldn’t help my heart sinking ; he was brave, took everything head on despite probably knowing what would come. Maybe it was because he was incredibly stupid. Or maybe it was because he really cared for me. But I didn’t want to be another project, someone he needed to protect, like Freddie had decided I was.

Seeing as maths had been a double lesson, it was already time for break. Ryan and I headed for Kelsey’s maths class and as we approached I watched the expression on her face twist from welcoming, to one of unease. Her eyes were focused on Ryan. It was obvious to me now that she loved him- the look she gave him said it all, but he seemed oblivious as far as I could tell, believing the look to be about the whole sexuality situation.

“Hey, Kelse?” he murmured as we got to her, hands raised slightly. Her expression was weary but he didn‘t give her much time to talk before he was explaining himself; “I’ve spoken to Joey, alright? I’ve apologised and all, what I did was shit, to both of you. I should never have…”

“Forget it,” I interrupted. I could see in Ryan that he was getting upset about it, and I could tell Kelsey was too, whether that was positive or negative I didn’t know. “He’s sorry, Kelsey,” I told her.

“I don’t know, for you to do that in the first place-”

“But that’s the thing!” Ryan broke in, “I never got to do anything! By the time I got the news everyone else knew. I couldn’t get my own reaction together… I don’t know…” He took another step towards Kelsey, pleading innocence, looking sincere . “I don’t care that Joey’s gay.”

There was a moment where none of us said anything. I was still feeling strange and a little uncomfortable; sorry that I was the cause. Kelsey crosses her arms across her chest and pouted, turning away from him. “Don’t see why you’re trying to prove it to me anyway. I don’t give a shit. That’s not my only problem with you-”

“I’m fucking sorry about that too. I swear. You don’t deserve that and I never deserved you. Forgive me?”

“No…” Ryan’s hopeful face dropped. “But I’ll forget about it?” And she smiled, gathering her ex-boyfriend into a hug for a moment before pulling me in too.